If i change the max no. of lessons per session to 4 how many years will it take?

whoa longer than a relationship :joy:

if i leave all the settings to the Default ones and don’t wake up in the middle of the night to do reviews but do Reviews/Lessons daily + keep a quiz average of 90% how many years would that be approx.?

think i’ll take 10 years ha.

skipping vocab seems silly, what learning benefit does it bring? why are people doing it?

1 Like

The question is imprecise. I am not sure I will answer it correctly.

The default is a batch of 5 lessons but there is no limit on the number of batch per day.

I assume you do only one batch per day. With an accuracy 90% I suppose there will be no idle time with no lessons. 8896 items at a rate of 5 per day is 1779 days or 4,9 years.

1 Like

You get level 60 faster, with less ‘work’. You may learn less, and have lower retention, but “you did it”. Feels so good to get that 60.

There are words that are in vocab that aren’t “just a kanji”. Sure, many vocabs can be implied like 三人 is just three people but things like Patience is 辛抱 which you might see as just a “spicy hug” because that’s the kanji but it means patience. Same thing with 人参. You’ll just see it as person and participate and be confused but it means carrot.

2 Likes

but if you don’t learn much isn’t it a waste of time?

2 Likes

Agreed. But, some people look at WK as purely a tool for learning kanji, so vocab is pointless. (although the point of the vocab on WK is to reinforce the kanji you’re learning (and learn oddball pronunciations)). So skipping vocab is actually hurting your kanji learning.
Its just human nature to want that gratification as past as possible. So, even though it will hurt you to skip the vocab, it ‘feels good’, and some people fall into that trap.

1 Like

At four items a day this isn’t likely to happen (days with no lessons).

2 Likes

If you are going to do this, I suggest waiting until you reach the Levels were the radicals are less than 10.

why does it matter if the radicals are less than 10? not familiar with the system as i just started level 2

Memory doesn’t reside in just one spot in the brain. It lies in between connections all through the regions of your brain. That’s why knowing more about how a kanji is used and shown in context sentences (like shown in vocab) helps reinforce what kanji mean and are used in real life and makes you remember it longer.

It’s also why the mnemonics will be wacky sometimes and the descriptions will try to make you think of the mnemonics they present to you in wacky, sometimes comedic situations. It’s to get multiple parts of your brain to think about kanji to help it stick longer.

Unless you’re a savant, its very hard for people to remember “random” symbols like kanji for an extended period of time without giving them life through mnemonics. The brain isn’t wired to remember random symbols that it can’t connect to what it already knows.

I hope I’m not sounding like I’m coming down on you because I’m not. I’m just trying to explain that the vocab are there to help you solidify kanji by showing you how its used. Not to “waste your time”.

5 Likes

love science-y explanations! i’m pro vocab.

2 Likes

Because you don’t want to waste your time on Radicals, when it’s Kanji you’re here for. Radicals, most of the time, aren’t Kanji. They are just tools used for mnemonics.

By this, I’m assuming you mean 4 Items per day. It would be way too much time wasted on Radicals.

I use [Userscript] WaniKani Lesson Filter to do this.

4 Likes

I just thought limiting lessons might stop the burnout factor since doing too many lessons is why things get too much at level 20, yes?

I’m currently chugging along through level 17, my recall is probably a bit lower than average, and the heatmap tells me that over the last year I’ve done about 4 reviews per day? I think that’s what that’s telling me? Although I don’t know what the ‘10’ indicates as that doesn’t really seem to map to anything @Kumirei ?

But 403 sessions at 6 items per session is 2,418 items, which sounds about right. At 8896 items at the current pace that’s between 4 and 5 years to finish. Which is about what I was predicting in my head before doing the math.

Note that I’m kinda the opposite of the fast people in that I use the reorder script to give me vocabulary before kanji as I’ve found I have trouble cramming all 30+ kanji for a level before getting a very large dump of vocab. I find it easier, and faster, at my slow pace, to get through levels if I do the vocabulary as I guru each kanji. That makes the upcoming lesson queue look like this when I’m doing it right.

When I guru enough kanji to level up then I typically only have a handful of vocab left on that level.

4 days ago I hit my pandemic resolution of 365 straight days of lessons. Is there a badge for this? :slight_smile:

And still going. Yeah, I know, told you I’m slow…

5 Likes

It’s an average of 10 lessons done on days that you’ve done lessons, and an average of 4 lessons per day over all days (including days you didn’t do any lessons). Both are calculated since you started (June 2019).
(days studied (39%) times the by the average lessons per day on days that you lessoned (10) = 3.9 or 4 when rounded).

3 Likes

I see rwesterhof already explained, but I want to mention that if you hover over the stat it will say “Per Day / Day studied”, this means 4 (per day) / 10 (per day studied)

I study Kanji alongside vocab, because I think it makes sense to learn them together, but the answers so far are a bit too WaniKani-echo-chamber’ish for my taste, so I guess it’s worth pointing out a different perspective… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Personally I can see two reasons why someone might not want to learn vocab on WaniKani

1. WaniKani throws vocab under the bus for the sake of better kanji learning. How is that all that different from sacrificing kanji so you can learn vocab in a better way?
  2. There is people, me included, that really buy into the idea of targeting an “area of the language” first instead of learning the entire language evenly. It’s a bit rough to sum this up, but the idea is that language is different across different areas of life. So it might be easier to make one deep cut into one area and start immersing yourself in that exclusively. After that you start moving outwards once your comfortable in that area. (Compared to cutting evenly into the entire language, which is what you’re doing by learning 6400 somewhat random words on WaniKani)

Now obviously there’ll be other good reasons I can’t think of right now and obviously there will be people who’ll disagree with this. And that’s fine… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Either way there’s plenty people that reached fluency by rushing through Kanji-only decks like RTK and swear by it. Feels more like a thing of preference than the “right way” or “wrong way” to go about it.

Point sort of being, when you’re in a place that pretty much only has people which are learning kanji alongside vocab and ask “Should you learn kanji alongside vocab?”, you can guess the answer… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.