How many new Kanjis/Vocab. do you learn per day?

Wow, I reached level 5 last Saturday, but I’m still learning vocabulary from level 4! They never end hahaha. So I was wondering how many new kanjis/vocabularies do you guys learn per day?

I normally stick to the number 9. When I’m learning radicals I normally learn more than 9 per day, because they are quite easy since you don’t have to learn a reading, but when I get to the “meat” of the level, the kanji and vocabulary, I try to learn 9 a day… more than that I feel it’s too much. Besides that, if you learn a ton of new items, the reviews in the next few days are going to be HUGE! Sometimes I get lucky and already know some of the vocabularies, these words I don’t count. But it’s being quite slow… I’m taking almost 13-15 days per level this way. But I’m ok with that, I’m really not in a hurry and don’t have a lot of time to dedicate myself to japanese anyway.

3 Likes

Just notice, the forum says I’m level 4, maybe it’ll say I’m on five when I begin learning the kanji from level 5?!

It takes a while sometimes for your level to sync with the forums, if you log in and out again it should do the trick =)

2 Likes

I’ve got vocab to learn from level 33, and I learn 10 items per day minimum (have been on the vacation for a month, though).

I don’t like to lean my kanji - I’m afraid if I do they’ll topple over.

1 Like

I generally aim for 20-30 lessons per day, with at least 10 of those being Kanji.
That way I don’t learn too many Kanji at once, but I still get through most/all the new lessons by the time I’m done with the level.

42+  

15 Likes

At my current pace I’m learning an average of 5 kanjis and 17 words per day…

Hmmm, and here i thought I was going fast… putting like that you could think that i’m not even trying… perspective…

Definitely go at the pace that works best for you :slight_smile: I was an 8-dayer up until I hit this level, but at a certain pace WK winds up eating up at least 2 hours just to keep up with reviews and whatnot, and that’s about the amount of time I have to dedicate to studying Japanese. Wound up burning out and I’ve been on this level for 2 weeks now :smiley: (I’ve been studying grammar instead). I’m mostly recovered though, and the plan moving forward is to allocate 1hr - 1hr 20 min to WK and the remaining 40min - 1hr to studying grammar (20 minute chunks of time) as opposed to going for a set number of lessons every day. If reviews are piling on fast enough that I can’t get them down to 0, I’ll reassign the time I usually reserve for lessons to reviews on the next day, so that way I naturally maintain an equilibrium that fits into my schedule.

2 Likes

Yeah, whatever speed you like is fine, just keep in mind that your peak average daily review load once the burn items start coming in is 9 x your average lesson rate (or more, if you fail a lot)

1 Like

I focus on maintaining a regular schedule of 10 a day, but given that I’m only learning Kanji it can make me see double sometimes. Moreover, some words aren’t simple!

私會常學計数拾漢字辭各翟,可是或時其作私的覽貳罷 。多辭係否簡泰哪!

I speak for the snails: I do 5 items a day. That’s one single lesson. That’s all the Kanji study time I have, but more importantly, it’s about all I can memorize without everything jumbling together. At this rate, it will take me about 5 years to finish, but that’s OK, as long as I stick with it.

10 Likes

I try to keep my apprentice queue as close to 100 items as possible, and generally won’t do more than 30 new lessons in a day.

Exceptions might be made if I want to get all the new kanji in a level into rotation or if a lot of the vocabulary is already known/intuitive.

I learn 5 every other day. I know it seems slow, but when I started WaniKani I was going so fast that sometimes I’d wake up and have a queue of over 100 items to review. It was overwhelming. So then I stopped lessons altogether for a few months to triage that down. I recently started this system of 5 lessons every other day and it’s working fine for me.

If the lessons are too easy though I may do an extra set. Like I recently unlocked the days of the week, but I already know them so I don’t need to spend much time on them. In this case I did an additional set.

I have the unlimited membership so I’m not in a rush.

8 Likes

currently i just binge every new lessons that come up, but right now i’m only on level 2 so it’s just like around 7 new kanjis+vocabs per day(?)

if i keep doing that (stuff all that those new stuff right when they are available) will i get overwhelmed by the piling up reviews someday? ఠ_ఠ

I like your pace.

An update:

Now I’m using the script for ordering lessons. Why? Well, when I finished level 5, I think, i took me 1 week or so to finish the lessons of all the VOCAB of the level and, only after this, I was able to lean the radicals/kanji of the next level. At this pace it would take me 15-20 days per level, too slow!! And I really don’t see any reason to wait for the VOCAB of the previous level to finish to start learning new kanjis.

So I decided to use the ordering script. As soon as I enter a new level, I reorder the lessons so I can learn right away the radicals and kanji. I aim to learn the radicals in 2 days at most (they are rather easy) and, after that, 9 new kanji a day. But I don’t stop there, I learn 9 new VOCAB words too, so in total I learn 18-20 itens per day. So far It’s ok 20 itens a day this way, somedays I do even more if the vocab words were particulary easy. In this way 1 level takes me 7-9 days, i. e., 3 levels per month. With this pace I’ll reach level 60 in 2 years, I’m very satisfied with this number.

1 Like

i’m doing all my lessons immediately. first radicals and kanji, then a coffee break, then vocab.

only rads/kanji are really new anyway, the vocab is still connected to the previous kanji and looks like more than it really is :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, isn’t it overwhelming you? Like, if I do in the pace I described, my review queues are 50-80 itens per day, which is long but it’s OK. Doing all the itens in one stroke… how many reviews a day? 130-150? More?

I try to learn all I can unless my life is so busy and I will not be able to do reviews frequently. I don’t mind getting lots of vocab. wrong in the first reviews. I got about 15% or 20% of vocab. wrong in the first reviews but they come up again soon so I actually “learn” more from the reviews than from the lessons. I also try to not let reviews accumulate because I do poorly on long reviews. I have 269 reviews in the next two days. I use ultimate timeline script but I set the settings so I can see only the number of reviews coming and not their content since I only want to see what times of the days lots of reviews will arrive. Without the ability to see when reviews are coming I would not be able to take care of a 11 month son and learn kanji…

1 Like