5 Likes

juu for じゅう 
 not jiyuu (which gives じゆう) :+1:

9 Likes

Thank you , I understand now.

6 Likes

Don’t worry, it’s a very common mistake

9 Likes

I wonder if this should be put in the FAQ, or on the pinned welcoming topic. I think I’ve seen a post asking for help with this exact mistake 3 or 4 times just in the past month or so

OK i just looked it up and it is in the FAQ but it’s very out of the way and it’s titled “Small vs big characters” rather than “my answers keep getting marked wrong”. Oh well, I just wish there was an slightly easier way for people to find the answer to this.

2 Likes

I think the bigger question, no offense to OP, is why do people keep trying to learn kanji before having a basic grasp of kana?
Should be a question at startup → “Do you know kana? No? Go do that then come back later”

10 Likes

I interpreted it as a reading mistake rather than a conceptual lack of ゅ vs ゆ. It’s been a while since I’ve had trouble reading kana, but I believe I made that error quite a bit in my first week or 2, even though I had a full conception of small vs big.

6 Likes

Completely possible. OP was genuinely nice about it. Asking what she did wrong, not what’s wrong with WK, like others do.
We’ve had many attack WK as being busted, get defensive when you offer help, and complain that WK doesn’t do a better job teaching kana.

2 Likes

To be fair, in some situations I also still have issues differentiating between ゆ and ゅ (and co), depending on font, size, and also the fact that in some furigana styles apparently only the big ゆ etc are used for both cases. I don’t want to imagine how dyslexia ‘works’ with the size difference. ><

I also wouldn’t be surprised if some kana guides skip those rows, because the students already learnt the small y-row as their big versions.

4 Likes

I did the same thing at first so don’t feel to badly. I still have issues seeing the size difference unless there next to each other, sure it’s smaller, but barely. it is getting easier to notice.

as a side note, as someone with dyslexia I can say the mini kana sizing is int really a problem. at least for me. in fact so far I’ve found hiragana to be generally easy to read, the more irregular shapes make it easier to orientate them somehow. some of the kanji and katakana however have been more problematic but nothing to bad so far.

though that may have more to do with me being a lot older then when I learned English, so I’ve already learned to compensate for bdpq cases which are arguably worse.

1 Like

I had this same issue, this isn’t really in resources online when you’re learning kana. So, I don’t think it’s right to say people should have a “basic grasp”. I never knew this was a thing before I started this.

1 Like

I still think it’s fair. You can’t really write anything without the combinations, so it is very very basic. That’s more of an issue with your kana resources, than with WK.

I think the first occurence of small characters in WK should have a warning about them in the lesson, with a link to the FAQ.

7 Likes

Now that I think about it, the app I used to practice kana never mentioned them. I picked them up from my grammar book.

But of course when you first start out trying to learn kana, you might not necessarily know what a good resource should include. You don’t know what you don’t know.

2 Likes

When I hit level 7
 I couldn’t, for the life of me, figure out how to write ă„ïŒI know my kana. I tried every combination I could think of and failed. I almost decided that I would never be able to type it (and as a consequence fail WK. lol) when I asked my Japanese partner (who laughed a bit) and told me that it’s typed DU. I would have never in a million years have figured that out.
I think typing those things should be in the FAQ too. Lol.

7 Likes

Agreed. @CyrusS this should be added to the Typing in Japanese series in the knowledgebase.

2 Likes

I had that same problem. I found out how to type い this way:

1. Go to the Announcements category of the forum.
  2. Click on New Wanikani Knowledge Base (i.e. the new user guide).
  3. In the search box, type “typing in Japanese”.
  4. Click on the link “guide to typing in Japanese”. This will take you to a great article written by Kristen Dexter (May 10, 2016) on Tofugu.
  5. Scroll down to the chart on “Dakuten” and there it is.

Kristen’s article is a great resource for typing Japanese. I agree that it would have been easier to find it in the new user guide.

1 Like

I use my phone, not the computer to access WK and the forums
 It’s a bit confusing. Or perhaps I’m a just bit of a dork!! I’m certainly not as savvy at navigating around as you are @bati 
 You did well to find that information!!

I really think it would be easier if typing information like い were in the new user guide, rather than hunting around

Thank you for your reply!! :grin:

@CyrusS Is it possible to make a suggestion the the WK team to add い and べ to the “how do I type” section in the FAQ? (I didn’t know I could do that!!) I think it would be very useful to new comers
 I couldn’t find it anywhere
 It would be nice to help other people avoid this confusion I had when I first came cross those items.

2 Likes