I have had to review the first 26 radicals many times now

I have been trying to use the Wiki, and in my first account I got a couple of particles in the first lesson wrong (some wrong twice…) - I did some studying, and have since been able to answer all correctly… over 6 or so times… I STILL have to just keep re-entering the same 26 lesson 1 radicals over and over again. It’s saying in ANOTHER 9 hours I’ll have to enter them AGAIN.

How do I progress? Is there a trick to this? I made another account as well and this time I entered all correct answers (except, because of my haste, I typed one wrong…) - I still have to redo this lesson with this account as well, but was wondering if I should make a new one where I get ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong?

I understand the put of SRS but this just is too much. I want to move on to the next lesson already. Do I really need to enter these beginner particles over 6+ times? It seems because I got some of them wrong and they were at 33%, that it takes DOZENS of times to input them correctly to get them to an acceptable percentage? This math though is just ridiculous, I shouldn’t have to enter something correctly dozens of times just because I got it wrong ONCE. Unless I am misunderstanding the site.

tl;dr I want to get to lesson 2 after days of using this site already. Please, help me.

Please read the FAQ and the Guide.

You need to answer a radical correctly four times in a row to get it’s dependent kanji.

8 Likes

Yeah, starting over on a new account just means that you have to answer each item correctly four more times in a row apiece to unlock the kanji/vocab they’re built out of. I also recommend reading over the FAQ and the guide carefully.

1 Like

Wanikani may seem slow in the beginning, but it will pick up speed very, very fast and you‘ll find yourself wishing you had less lessons and reviews. It may take a bit of time before you get rolling, but what is that compared to the year or two (or more) you are going to spend on learning 2000+ kanji?
If you stick with it, it is a really great tool.

Edit: Oh, and I second reading the FAQ and the Guide. They are great!

8 Likes

If you get half of them wrong and that more than once then yeah it will take you quite a while. If you answered everything correctly you would have been done in 2 days, but as you seem to have made mistakes (which is okay btw) the system is quite wonky.

I’ll concede, I think its kind of designed for level 1 to be done in a few days, so you may be a special case where it is excrusiatingly slow, but if you get every right, you should unlock lvl 2 today or tomorrow.

1 Like

I’ll add that if you answer your reviews correctly as they arrive you will get kanji lessons after 1 day 17 hours. If you review only once a day that’s going to be four days instead.

3 Likes

Keep in mind that the SRS intervals listed in the Guide is incorrect. For Levels 1 and 2, the SRS intervals are as follows:
2 hours, 4 hours, 8 hours, 23 hours, 7 days, 14 days, 1 month, (4 months?)
I haven’t tested for the last two intervals (I haven’t gotten that far in my second account yet), but that’s probably right.

After level 2, the intervals change to:
4 hours, 8 hours, 23 hours, 1 day 23 hours, 7 days, 14 days, 1 month, 4 months.

Getting an answer right moves you to the next interval, getting an answer wrong moves you back an interval, and getting wrong multiple times in one session… may move you back more than one, i’m not sure. I know when I fail burn reviews (the 4 month interval) it moves me back

New items unlock after the 4th interval (23 hours for levels 1 and 2).

If you haven’t done so already, try to visualize the mnemonics given by the website, hopefully it’ll help you with better recall…

EDIT: Verified for level 1 radicals, SRS intervals are 2 hours, 4 hours, 8 hours, 23 hours, 7 days, 14 days, 1 month. It seems like for the first level 1 kanjis, the first SRS interval is 4 hours…

4 Likes

I’m reasonably certain, from past reading and experience that I choose to blame on using my phone in the rain, that it’s one SRS level for both meaning and reading, capped at losing two ranks total if they’re both wrong, even if you botch reading five times in a row.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for the replies everybody!

To clarify I didn’t delete my old account, just made a new one to ‘test’ if the timing would be different, but i’ll just stick to my one account. And for the record I am liking this site and am appreciating the time restraints, but I just was feeling like I wasn’t sure if something was wrong or not.

Anyways thanks again everybody - this information definitely cleared up a lot of my confusion. I’m looking forward to using the site more!

8 Likes

Everyone gets a little frustrated at the first few levels, but in a few weeks, there’ll be new reviews rolling in every few hours.

And a couple months after that, you’ll hit the point where it’ll take at least a half hour of WK every day to keep your reviews clear, not even counting your lessons.

For now, it’d be a great time to work on another angle while WK kicks into gear. Are you doing any grammar studies, like Genki or Bunpro?

1 Like

Thanks for the response - I suppose I will just have to be a bit patient to begin! In the meantime I can use the time to brush up other aspects of my learning…
Looking forward to getting into it!

At the moment, I have been (slowly) teaching myself grammar and sentence structure just using various websites. I will look more into Genki and Bunpro which look perfect for me!
Thank you!

2 Likes

Best of luck!

I use Genki, personally. I like to write down all of the vocabulary, read through the grammar, do the textbook exercises, then do the workbook exercises. By the time I finish those, I’m pretty confident in my comprehension of the chapter.

If your goal is to someday speak Japanese, don’t neglect that either! There’s plenty of audio options to help you out in that department. I like Pimsleur’s Japanese, which is just long enough to go through one lesson during my daily commute.

1 Like

4 Likes

Yeah, 30mins of WK a day? なにそれ

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.