Progression is way too slow

He wants to go faster than 2000 kanji in 11 and a half months or whatever the specifics are now. Plenty of ways to do that, and most are free. You just have to do all the heavy lifting.

1 Like

@ctmf produced this WK workload chart if you need a visual of “things will pick up”

4 Likes

Popping into affirm that while the early levels feel slow, you will be inundated soon enough.

Also affirming that Wanikani works, really well, even if no learning tool is ever going to be a perfect fit for everyone.

Also, also affirming that learning to read kanji fluently isn’t as straightforward as cramming vocabulary, so pacing preferences in previous vocab-learning situations might not apply.

I thought the same thing when i started, but now just past the free levels i get like 100-200 reviews a day and ive learned quite a bit, if you’re patient it will pick up

2 Likes

Also, from the FAQ:

5 Likes

Wait, wasn’t it @ctmf who specifically said they didn’t like that chart?

You also have to keep in mind that you can’t really overwhelm yourself with a bunch of radicals and kanji at one time. So while WK feels very slow in the beginning (I mean we’ve all been there), it has a really good system of knowing just how much the brain can handle, especially since some of these people are brand new to Japanese in general.

@Chikuhitsu just posted about the “Can I go faster” and when it says “you’ll thank us later” it actually means it. Because by the time you hit level 10 or even level 5, suddenly you can be doing up to 200 reviews a day, and that’s if you stay on top of it.

3 Likes

They didn’t like the old one floating around with the ‘you are here’ arrow on it, as they didn’t feel it was accurate enough.

3 Likes

I mean that still feels pretty accurate tho with the large amount of vocab I’m trying to get out of my lessons box at level 10 (Which I am level 10 idk why the forums keep saying I’m level 9!!! Dx )

1 Like

Right, my bad.

1 Like

That should sort itself out, but if it bothers you, just log out and back in.

1 Like

I love both those charts! I just feel the second one also needs the “you are here” arrow and “workload” label on it!

1 Like

If you wish to, please read Chapter 2 of my guide:

Hope it helps.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, the first levels are actually faster (in terms of SRS intervals), by the way (that’s been verified at least for the radicals).

As a new user, you may not be aware that many other users find the WaniKani workload so overwhelming that they had to re-start at a more manageable level.

5 Likes

:slight_smile: It’s not that that chart isn’t accurate enough (though as you said, it’s original WK, and the one I made is current). My issue with that chart is it isn’t what people think it is. It’s not a graph of real workload, as in, reviews-per-day-type work.

But in this case it’s ok, because the OP’s problem isn’t likely to be satisfied with the real workload chart either. If they

• can spend unlimited time learning kanji every day AND
  • think that will be effective with regard to retention (they won’t just forget a month later) AND
  • they are getting grammar, vocab, listening, and speaking practice in while spending infinite time on kanji

Then they’re right. WK is not for them and a chart won’t change their mind. Obviously, I’m skeptical, but I’m not them so :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

its annoying how often this has to be posted. When I joined I read the faq on the forum so I knew this

3 Likes

What a nice and friendly comment, have an opinion anyway

Be patient!

We know the first level is very slow, and that’s a big part of the reason why the first three levels are free. By the end of level 3, you’ll have a much better idea of what the regular pace will be like. :slightly_smiling_face:

There isn’t a question to answer here, or even really anything to talk about (since this topic comes up a lot), so I’m going to close the thread. If you have any other thoughts/questions/feedback @paweru feel free to email us - it’s easier for us to keep track of it that way.

5 Likes