I did it! šŸ„³

Iā€™ve learnt many kanji! So many that Iā€™ve reached level 60! :crabigator: :sparkles:

Some of you might think this post came out of nowhere, and youā€™re not wrong. It has actually been a whole year since I reached lvl60, and Iā€™ve had many cakes since then :chopsticks:

Heatmap of the reviews Iā€™ve done, courtesy of @Kumirei [Userscript] Wanikani Heatmap

(the intervals are at the automated range of 1-90-150-225-300)

As you can see from the heatmap, I started my journey back in January 2019. At that point I had started a BA in Japanese Language at university, and the plan was to learn tons of Japanese (including kanji!) and then be in Japan for a year as an exchange student. I would say I did learn tons of Japanese (including kanji!), but sadly, the exchange program didnā€™t happen because of the pandemic and lockdown, which started merely a few weeks prior to the scheduled date of travel. Guess what happened to my motivationā€¦ Yup, thatā€™s right, took a huge hit. I wanted to try sitting the N3 JLPT exam during the summer while in Japan too, but obviously that plan was cancelled along with the Japan trip.

Iā€™m glad however that I kept hanging around here with the WaniKani community, for many reasons. Iā€™ve learned ways to (more or less effectively) learn Japanese, Iā€™ve had fun in the Campfire category, Iā€™ve read books with some of the book clubs, and Iā€™ve met so many amazing people on here :durtle_love: I canā€™t express how happy I am to have experienced the journey of studying Japanese along with this community. And the journey is not over yet! :crabigator:

Some stats, courtesy of @rfindley wkstats.com

More stats!

A: [Userscript] Total Progress Bar (Allows Level Progress Removal)(aka 2Cool4Progress)
B: [Userscript] WaniKani Dashboard SRS and Leech Breakdown
C: Wanikani: Woah Burns
D: [Userscript] Levels by SRS
Shout out to @Sinyaven for their ConfusionGuesser script :pray:

Thanks to the scripters for their amazing work :raised_hands:

Thanks to @Ditto20 for motivating me into reading books that were way above my level :joy: I figured that if I read books of the same level of difficulty as her Iā€™d reach the more advanced level faster. Iā€™m super glad I got to meet you :eyes: :heart: :sparkles:

Thanks to @Belthazar for personally nudging me into joining a book club twice(!) before I finally caved in :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks to @konsei for arranging the 2020 Olympians thread. Many motivated people leveled up together :muscle: :sparkles:

Thanks to @jprspereira for the Ultimate Guide for WK and for teaching me the importance of routine!

And a huge thanks to the Tofugu team for creating WaniKani and for sending out the bestest emails, I still remember how nice it was to read them after signing up and after each time I leveled up. Thanks for the durtles and the cake! :durtle_the_explorer: :cake:

86 Likes

FIRST

ok imma read the post now <3

6 Likes

u welcome

3 Likes

Well done! I was legit confused it was your post :grin:

Is that last picture your current SRS items? How concerned are you about those leeches?

3 Likes

Congratulations! :crabigator: :cake:

2 Likes

How are you always so early @Kumirei ?! :rofl:

Also congrats @Redglare :cake::birthday::confetti_ball::partying_face::tada::balloon:
That probably should have come first :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks! All the screenshots of stats were taken today! Iā€™m not very concerned about leeches, Iā€™ll learn them eventually. Hopefully, Iā€™ll burn all of them some day :fire: :durtle: :fire:

@pragmata @Maulrus Thanks! :grin:

3 Likes

Congratulations! :grin:

2 Likes

Woah, so many people hitting their 60s lately! Impressive!
Mustā€¦goā€¦ę—©ćļ¼

Hereā€™s a cake for you, good sir!

5 Likes

Youā€™ve been improving at a crazy speed :OOO so Iā€™m so å¬‰ć—ć„ to hear that I could be part of it <3 Congratz! :tada:

At that point of WK I really was tired of it. Doing the reviews felt like a wasteā€¦ so doing the self-study for the leeches really helped me getting back to enjoying Wanikani more and to bring all those items up for burn.

2 Likes

Congrats!!! (Again)

3 Likes

Congratulations!! :partying_face: :cake:

3 Likes

Well done!

1 Like

Well, for a neophyte legislacerator, youā€™re not so neophyte anymore :partying_face:

1 Like

I love posts like this, motivates the rest of us to keep going! Thanks for sharing your story :partying_face:

2 Likes

Congratulations! :tada:

1 Like

恊ē›®å‡ŗåŗ¦ć†! :partying_face: :tada::tada:

Please, have some cake! :birthday:

hqdefault

2 Likes

aaaah dkkdslsl Thank you so much, everyone! :grin:

Iā€™m not a sir, but Iā€™ll take it :joy: Thanks!

Thanks, fellow Olympian! :grin: :partying_face:

Thanks to you (and @FlamySerpent :eyes:) for inspiring me! <3

I know what you mean. After a while, all the items in the lower srs levels were consisting mainly of leeches and I felt like I was doing the same set of items over and over without really learning them. Some of them I got confused with other similar or not-so-similar items (which is why I recommend the ConfusionGuesser script!), some of them I straight up just forgot. Will take the tip of doing self-study on leeches! Iā€™m a bit of a completionist after all, haha. Gotta burn 'em all :eyes: :fire:

Iā€™m also kind of racing with Kumi in burning them all first :joy:

omg :joy: senpaaaaai <3

no u :eyes: Congrats on reaching lvl60 too! :partying_face: :tada: :birthday:

8 Likes

Wowow Iā€™ve been mentioned :eyes: Good job with reaching level 60 though!! :heart_eyes: Really glad to see that youā€™re enjoying reading though, nicenice :eyes: :durtle_love:

I second this, I think it helps a toooon to self-study them. What Iā€™ve been doing now is doing self-study for the wrong answers (like for the last 100 hours) a couple of times in a row, and also adding some of those to Kitsun where I can practice English->Japanese and listening.

Speaking of which, I havenā€™t done self-study in a couple of days.. :eyes:

5 Likes

Congratulations! :tada:
Also if itā€™s gonna be possible again, have fun in Japan!

1 Like