How to pronounce double consonant?

It doesn’t come up very often, but how is a double n pronounced? For example: 女の人 (おんなのひと) . Is the n double held like vowel, or is it like a small つ? double consonent? I can’t quite make it out from the wanikani recording.

You say each part, nothing is omitted or anything.

お ん な

At regular speed there is definitely a noticeable difference between that and the incorrect pronunciation of

お な

1 Like

I think it makes the sounds a bit more connected. You can compare the sounds from 同じ and 女, maybe it can be compared to a small つ.

I was told to always pronounce both “n” sounds (though they can kind of glide into each other sometimes), and that it’s pretty recognizable “foreigner’s accent” to miss the second “n” in words. That said, there might be dialect differences, etc. and other people might hear differently.

If you’re having trouble, a friend once told me that if I was having trouble to slightly purse my lips for the first “n” almost like I was intending to make a “m” sound and then continue normally through the second sound. I do this in a couple of words like “こんにちは” but not really “おんな.” Maybe this will help you.

2 Likes

Like Leebo said, everything is pronounced. The difference with the っ sounds is that most of these are plosives, so there’s no way to ‘hold’ the sound, so った is extended differently to んな or っさ.

I’d say there are two kinds of extended sounds:
The held sounds: 「おう、ああ、えい、んな、んに、っさ、っし、、っぜ、っる、っや、っは、っふ、etc」
The doubled sounds (plosives): 「った、っで、っば、っぴ、っこ、っげ、、っじ、っつ、っぶ、etc」

This is the way I see it anyway, just think about how you pronounce the sound.

tl;dr You hold it like a vowel.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.