How to best learn 出る?

This kanji is evil. Seriously, there are 20 definitions for 出る on jisho.org.
Is there a trick to learning this kanji? So far I’ve learned…

出かける
出す
出る…

How many other readings are there? Pls help.

4 Likes

上 is way worse.

But the way you learn to differentiate the meanings is through exposure. Most of those meanings are not going to be super common. Maybe use something like Weblio to look up their example sentences for the word? That might help you.

4 Likes

It becomes pretty familiar after you start reading native material. So I think just getting some experience helps.
Particularly for 出す, it gets attached to a lot of verbs such as 飛び出す and just a bit is changed. You will understand from context after a while.

5 Likes

「上」

へっ!そうですね。そのいろいろ読み方がこわいですよ。仕方からありがとう!

It seems like you’re talking about a lot of different things here. Are you asking about the word 出る or the kanji 出?

2 Likes

It signifies outward movement both physical and metaphorical. I wouldn’t try to learn all of the meanings. You’ll understand the word’s different uses tbrough exposure to different native material.

3 Likes

Quite. Remember the 80-20 rule - you’re only going to encounter two (or possibly three) of those definitions on a regular basis.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.