How long do reviews take you each day?

How long does it take you to complete a certain amount of reviews? I feel like if I have 100 reviews it will take me an hour or longer. Similarly if I have 200 I feel like it takes me two hours or longer to clear out the queue.

I feel like wanikani is taking up most of my study time each day. Is this normal or am I just slower than the average user?

6 Likes

I think itā€™s normal? I usually donā€™t have that many at once, since I do reviews a lot.
It might be usefull to use the ā€˜wrap upā€™ function, so you can split up your reviews.

1 Like

Thatā€™s roughly were I was for a while, and as I got the hang of everything and streamlined it Iā€™ve gotten to the point of getting through about ~200 reviews per hour. I usually have around 300 available each morning between WK and KS so Iā€™ve had a lot of practice. I slow myself down by verbally speaking my answers before and after submitting them, but I also gain a LOT of speed by using doublecheck to disregard any caution for typos. I switched to direct kana input which slowed me down for a while, but now finally seems to make typing slightly faster. Thereā€™s a lot of factors about your review routine that can change the speed, but I donā€™t think 100/hour is concerning.

SRS and Immersion are expected to occupy the vast majority of study time.

3 Likes

I used to try to do all my reviews each day at one time. It would end up taking me 2 to 3 hours after which I was too burnt out for other studies. Now I break it up into two 30 minute sections, timed with an alarm. I get more done in less time this way as I focus more. Also, I would advise setting the number of lessons you want to add after youā€™ve done reviews. I usually max add in 10 kanji or 20 vocab.

1 Like

My pace was definitely slower on earlier levels, I especially used to struggle to get through vocab and remembering two readings. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if my pace back then was similar to yours, though I would rarely do sets of 100.

At this point I can clear 100 in under 30 minutes, and under 20 if Iā€™m really in a rush a throw caution to the wind.
Some of my speed up was due to getting used to the program, and some more because Iā€™ve just gotten used to typing faster than I used to. I would say the biggest factor was the the vocabulary felt easier to go through. I noticed after the early levels that more vocab were combinations of kanji I already knew, as well as that the the verbs with more technical kanji took the 恙悋 form as opposed to 悋 or 恆, so you end up not needing to learn as many new readings.

Dear lord

At my busiest, back when I was at a higher level, I had 300 or so a day, but they generally werenā€™t clustered at one time. I found doing 50 or 60 in a little block took me half an hour, at most. Very much depended on the level of the items being reviewed.

If you arenā€™t, I recommend whatever script lets you do meaning/reading back to back, because knowing what youā€™re going to type next before you even hit enter half of the time saves a LOT more time than you think it would.
Then, override script. If you spend 20 seconds trying to remember if a kanji wants ā€˜runā€™ or ā€˜runningā€™ or whatever, just override that shit. Worrying about english synonyms is a waste of time. You know the answer.

That said, maybe 20 minutes, but sometimes more it I have ā€œhardā€ reviews. But I donā€™t know what is average. I think you should do them as fast as possible, but the reason that I and some other people can do them really fast is we have extensive Japanese experience outside wanikani. Now at level 50, i already recognize and know at least one reading of at least half of the ā€œnewā€ kanji I learn every level, and same for vocabulary. At early levels, it could be from 70-90%. You can see how this could make some reviews really easy and fast.

So donā€™t worry too much about comparing yourself to others, but I would say, after the script stuff at the top,

1. Try to do it fast even if that means getting more wrong
  2. If you donā€™t want to get more wrong, or you find going faster results in a MASSIVE drop in accuracy, stay slow but lower your lessons so you have fewer reviews each day, so youā€™re not spending all day in wanikani.

So basically, whatever it takes to do less wanikani.

3 Likes

I have about 150-200 reviews per day and I usually spend an hour total on them, split up into three sessions throughout the day.

Personally, I like to fail fast in that if i donā€™t remember an item within a few seconds, I fail it and move on. I then spend some time reviewing all the failed items on the summary screen, and letting the SRS do its thing to bring that item around again.

2 Likes

Just to add a bit, I agree that itā€™s important to recall at ā€˜readingā€™ speed, this should be one of your goals in the long term. Itā€™s actually a very good exercise to take a long time to bring something rusty into your memory again. So as to whether you should fail a review after a second or two, youā€™ll have to balance the pros and cons for yourself. I would suggest that even if you do end up recalling it after 5, 10, or 30 seconds, go ahead and purposely fail it anyway; you need the reviews.

You might see my level and not take me seriously, but I already completed WaniKani a couple years ago. Once I wanted to go back through and review everything in a structured way, and asked if I could have an accelerated SRS if I reset; they said no, so I made a new one instead.

You have to think long term, the items you de-level will probably end up being some of your strongest memories later on. I would also advise you to start reading right away. There are tons of books you could consume already, even if they arenā€™t super advanced. This will act as a speed and comprehension multiplier, it will astonish you. Donā€™t wait, just do it.

2 Likes

I donā€™t have any idea of how much time it takes me to complete all the daily reviews. As I work from home and stay in front of the computer until 10pm, Iā€™m always checking WK in order to do my reviews. Sometimes I go to sleep early, so I canā€™t clear the queue.

I think I spend 10-20 minutes on a batch of reviews a couple of times a day on average. I have some SRS stuff outside of wanikani too, so I spend a couple of hours a day on SRS in general. If you spend all of your Japanese time on SRS you should maybe slow down a bit. Itā€™s important to experience the language, and not only study it.

1 Like

Before level 30 ~150 reviews took me about one hour. Nowadays i use the Flaming Durtles app with integrated anki mode. Doing reviews in this way takes me like 20 min, yet i donĀ“t lose out on retention at all from not typing my answers. I can wholeheartedly recommend it.
(well, maybe not if you have a weak will)

If I do reviews on my PC itā€™s around 30 min per 100 reviews. On my phone it takes 30-45 min. I do them more slowly to avoid silly typos.

level 13 here. Everyday is around 170 reviews

I do in 20min the first bach, around 125 in the morning, and later at night the rest, like 5 or 10 min.

Lessons I do 25 per day when they appear and I am slow, doing them spending 1h at least

how do you use anki mode in flaming durtles and configure it for this?

two to 10 minutes because I currenly only get them in batches of 30-50 at a time.

I did 39 earlier today and it took about 3 minutes, but it was mainly filled with radicals from level 1 so I blitzed through it.

When you open the app, press the following:

Three dots in the top right corner ā†’ settings ā†’ scroll to advanced settings and enable them ā†’ review advanced settings ā†’ scroll until you see ā€œanki mode for meanings (or readings)ā€ and activate them

(Also make sure the app knows your wanikani key)

2 Likes

around 15-ish minutes for 100 reviews (21,2 minutes for 155 reviews to be exact).

if i have a hundred reviews, itā€™ll take me most of an hour. iā€™m fine with that.

but i donā€™t try to go fast. iā€™ll always tell myself reading and meaning, if i was unsure iā€™ll hit F and have a look at the mnemonics, or the phonetic-semantic stuff, or look up the kanji i confused it with. i can go faster, but itā€™s what feels comfortable to me.

but i have a lot of free time, so even if i spend two hours on WK, i still have plenty of time to do a bit of reading and other stuff. i agree that spending all your study time on WK is probably not the best strategy. If WK is crowding out other aspects of learning japanese, then iā€™d suggest taking some of the advice on speed from the earlier posts, or reducing your daily lessons ^^

1 Like

i have timed myself quite a few times and i do 3 - 4 reviews per minute. it does not change much though sometimes i fly through, then other times i slave through so it evens out to 3 or a little more per minute.

this said, i rarely do more than 10 or 20 in one sitting because i do something else in between so 100 reviews will also take me one hour.

if i donā€™t know i pass, if i still donā€™t know, i enter B to fail and check what the answer is.