How did you learn to conjugate verbs and stuff

I know it’s something you pick up by listening, but are there any good Anki decks for example?

1 Like

Honestly, a lot of it was just familiarity through immersion. I also used a conjugation drill like this one:

https://wkdonc.github.io/conjugation/drill.html

12 Likes

I also found drilling really helpful. I used this one: Japanese Conjugation Practice

Understanding the underlying patterns in how verb conjugation works was also really helpful to me to get the basics down: Japanese conjugation made easy! The super-simple key to all conjugations. - YouTube

1 Like

reading it, hearing it, and using it is gonna do you more good than anything. Anki or SRS in general from my experience doesnt lend itself to grammar all that well.

2 Likes

My guess is, testing for comprehension, whether explicit (asked or discussed) or implicit (needed to continue), is also required on top of immersion.

Some grammar awareness may help, especially when learning a vocabulary for the first time. However, even natives themselves don’t necessarily aware of grammar either.

1 Like

I use bunpro

3 Likes

Nice app, wish I had found it sooner!

2 Likes

It might sound basic but for me it clicked when I actually properly learnt the verb groups. After that just by doing a lot of repetition and practice seeing the same patterns over and over I was able to get it.

3 Likes

I’m still working on learning some of the more basic/beginner conjugations, but learning conjugations, verbs or not, is pretty much entirely a matter of repetition and exposure. Do grammar drills, write your own sentences, read books and articles, listen to people speak, etc etc. The more you do, the quicker you’ll get at it and the sooner you will commit it to memory. It’s especially good that Japanese conjugation is agglutinative, so it’s easy to make connections between one form and another because typically they’re related in some way (such as all the conjugations that stem from the て form).

3 Likes