Help with using WaniKani beginner-Please

Hello,

I am new to WaniKani and it is very confusing to use. I read the guide but it does not fully explain how to use it step by step and also checked out Youtube videos from other users but again they do not explain how to use it as a beginner.

Am I suppose to click on the “levels” or “radicals”? If I start with “radicals” do I finish the entire levels up to 60 then move on to the “Kanji” section and then to “vocab”?

I managed to do level 1 radical and was able to click the next button progressively until they all say “shin” (new). As for level 2 radicals, I can see and click on them individually but it doesn’t not “progress” or mark as complete.

Any help would be great, especially step by step guide to get the ball rolling.

Thanks a lot!!

4 Likes

Hi and welcome! Have you already taken a look at this? It should be extremely detailed.

4 Likes

Welcome to WaniKani :slight_smile:

Basically, click the Lessons button, Start Session, then go through the lessons by clicking the right arrow and do the quiz. Now, the things you just learnt will be added to your reviews, and you will be quizzed on them once in a while, when you see numbers on the Review button.

(You don’t need to click on the Levels, Radicals, Kanji or Vocab buttons, those are just for looking up info)

3 Likes

Hi,
Thanks for replying. I read that but am still confused since it doesn’t explain how to proceed step by step on the website.

1 Like

It does, you can see at the end of that article the next items in the series :slight_smile: it takes you step by step.

1 Like

Hi

Thanks for replying. I finished Level 1’s radicals and when I clicked on “lessons” it says zero.

1 Like

Oh yea, that’s exactly what I did like the photos. However, why can’t I move on to lesson two’s radicals just like those photos?

If you currently have 0 lessons, you need to wait until you unlock more. Just keep doing your reviews until your radicals go up to guru level. That will unlock some kanji lessons. After you guru the kanji, you unlock the associated vocabulary lessons. When you guru 80% of kanji on a level, you reach a new level. And that’s kinda it, you just keep going like that until you reach level 60.

5 Likes

Ah yes, it’s pretty slow in the beginning, it won’t let you do more lessons until you prove you know the previous ones by doing reviews.

2 Likes

If you’re confused that you can’t do more lessons, be sure to re-read this section:

It’s a Spaces Repetition System. Reviews unlock over time. As reviewed items climb in SRS level, more levels are unlocked.

There is a hard limit on how many lessons you have available. Keep doing your reviews. If you get enough answers correct often enough to meet the next lesson unlock requirements, you get lessons.

You have to prove to the system you retained the old items over time before you are given more.

Stick with it and all will become clear. Best of luck!

2 Likes

Oh, I see. So basically if I do enough reviews I can unlock more and from there just click on “lessons” button right?

5 Likes

Correct ^^

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying the waiting limit. I thought I can skip the lessons since they’re stuff I already know.

2 Likes

So when it says, review in 3 hours, I can do the review only after then or can I do the review earlier to speed up the process and unlock more lessons?

1 Like

You have to wait for the reviews to be ready, unfortunately you can’t speed up the process. But don’t worry, even if it’s slow in the beginning, the more you unlock, the more lessons you can do, and the more reviews you’ll have :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks for clarifying!!

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying!

1 Like

If you’re curious what you can expect at level 54, here’s what my dashboard looks like :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification!

1 Like

Thanks, a lot!

1 Like