Help with a manga passage

Just need a little help with a passage from the manga “Sand Storm Slugger” (don’t judge me! … or do, up to you). The sentence I’m looking at is:

オレたち家族事故にあい

It’s obviously about his family getting into an accident but what is with the あい bit. I just can’t figure it out, I should just forget it and move on but it has been playing on mind since. If it helps the next panel says:

オレは両足に大きなテガを負った

anyone have any idea?

Ok so totally guessing here, and it would totally depend on context and stuff, and grammar gets weird in manga but, with that preface, here is my best guess…

俺たち家族事故に合い So, my two thoughts here, depending on context, would be potentially, Something along the lines of We met/meet in a family accident or we were/are together in a family accident. If they met someone new just now, then maybe it is the first…if they are just with their family together in some family crisis or incident, then maybe the second…

Just my guess though. Interested to see if smarter people have better ideas.

EDIT- also obviously 合い is just a guess as to what あい might be doing.

Based on this, I’d say his family had an accident. I have no idea what テガ is. A quick google search shows me:

I somehow missed that second part when going through jisho. Thanks for pointing it out. It was about losing both his parents in a car accident, meant to write the context but forgot.

I didn’t even bother with that, just filed it in my brain as weird manga speak. Not knowing didn’t change anything.

Any chance テガ was actually ケガ?

As for テガ, I know this is a bit of a stretch, but considering I can’t find it anywhere, I’m thinking it’s some weird alteration on the word 怪我 (けが / ケガ), which means an injury to an animate object (i.e. a person)

Especially considering that it follows the concept of the family accident, and then using the following verb 負う, which means to get injured

So altogether, “I sustained large scars on both of my feet”

that would make sense. My copy has a little bit of water damage on a few pages and makes it a bit hard to read. So I may be misreading, looking at it again I still see it as テガ but I could just be seeing it wrong.

There’s a specific dictionary entry for 事故にあう as a set phrase for getting into an accident. Regarding the あい portion, I’ve seen the verb stem used in such a way to imply a continuative form, but it depends on the context.

Take a picture with your cellphone and post it. I guarantee you it’s ケガ though.

It’s obviously about his family getting into an accident but what is with the あい

Someone already mentioned it but it’s the 連用形 (-masu stem) of あう. In this case it works as a continuative like the て-form. It’s considered more literary than just using the て-form as a continuative.

オレたち家族事故にあい
オレは両足に大きなテガを負った

My family was in an accident, and I received serious injuries to both of my legs.

It’s linking up the two sentences since there’s a causal relationship here. He was in an accident, and as a result suffered injuries to his legs.