Help Identifying Kanji!

Hey,

Does anyone know the meaning of this kanji?

I have been having some trouble identifying it.

Here is it is.

Thanks!

歳 (age, year, years old)

6 Likes

Jisho has a great way to search kanji by means of selecting the radicals it is made up of, if you run into a similar problem in the future.

1 Like

It isn’t really that obfuscated. You should try Google Translate App with your mobile phone camera.

I didn’t see a “What’s this Kanji?” general thread, so hopefully it’s ok to piggyback off this thread.

I’m having a really hard time figuring out what this kanji is supposed to be. I see a wing, a barb, and maybe a rice paddy radical, but I can’t find this kanji in any dictionary.

The word means “defeat” or something similar, this is a you killed the boss message in a game from 1987. There’s been some other odd kanji use as well, like using 街 instead of 町.

2 Likes

倒した

It’s kind of hard to see from how the pixels touch each other, but it’s like this. From the full context it would be easy to tell, I think, because you understood the meaning.

Both are read まち, but they have different nuances, so I wouldn’t consider it strange

2 Likes

I hadn’t seen it before, but that comes down to my own inexperience I suppose.

Your edit completely answers my question. The way they were blurring together threw me off.

1 Like

Ah, yeah, you can see it in the definitions here

1 Like

It must be one of those kanji that I used to know but forgot. I’m not sure how I thought 街 was something new. Regardless, thank you very much for your help.

Level 29

But WK doesn’t teach the まち reading, so that’s a new one on me too. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.