Have you leveled up in February? We need your help

Yeah I just noticed that too. I don’t know why its different.

@Belthazar is right. I tried viewing the hidden message by right-clicking the page and hitting “view page source,” but you apparently HAVE to do it from the dropdown menu in your email client. If done correctly, it should open in a new page or a pop-up window (at least in the clients I use).

2 Likes

So, I’m new here and just leveled up to level 3 and this is news to me that there are secret messages hidden in the original text of the level up emails and they add up to a serialized monthly story about durtles that I will only understand if I work with other WKers to piece together all of our secret parts of the story? No one is talking about how weird this is???

What other wonders does Wanikani have in store for me :thinking:

9 Likes

I think everyone on this site, me included, is just a little bit crazy. Or a lot. You have to be to want to study thousands of kanji, after all. I’m kidding, but am I?
I stopped trying to understand the WK community a long time ago because I just kept getting confused. It’s best not to question things here too much, since there’s always something going on. Read more about the ARG that’s going on here.

5 Likes

Well to be fair, we’ve been getting kind of used to the weirdness. Story here, if you haven’t read it already.

1 Like

@Belthazar yeah sorry i’ve been trying to respond really quickly in between games and it’s not conducive to a full explanation :frowning: sometimes the conditional formatting options (@Arcanus has a picture of the exact popout im referring to) gets filled with a bunch of junk and im not sure why… like randomly certain cells will have their own formatting rules that set them to a specific color. it may have to do with cut/pasting lines but not sure

1 Like

i love seeing all of this go down even though i cant really contribute. but i did level up to level 5 this weekend and didnt get any emails. I just wanna be included in the jiddle :frowning:

2 Likes

im sure there will be many jiddles to come :slight_smile:

1 Like

Reuniting the threads in 3…2…1…

4 Likes

jk i found it i just deleted it when i got it case i just was clearing out my inbox lmaoooo
still im here for the ride on the main thread and honestly i just love watching people smarter than me figure all this out

1 Like

You don’t have to be crazy to study here, but it helps.

Honestly, I think the eGoooott broke us all a bit already.

4 Likes

Oh my goodness

I didn’t know when I signed up to learn some kanji I would also become a part of a turtle-centric online cult

This is a lot to take in LOL

7 Likes

No, weirdly that doesn’t seem to be mentioned in the ToS.

7 Likes

Everyone, thanks for your help!

I made it

1 Like

I hope we continue to get these level up mails forever! Cause they are fun!!
Should at least be an option, now that they are made and all =^_^=

1 Like

I was wondering about that, so thanks for the link! :blush:

2 Likes

So to spell it out for someone like me who’s only vaguely following what’s going on here, did you guys (and by that, I mean the ones who actually understand the point of this thread) finally figure out the password or whatever it was that you were trying to get from these emails?

1 Like

Yep. You can read the latest in the [wiki], starting from “B4: The complete story”.

In summary:
We were extracting the story two lines at a time from the level-up emails.
Then we had to rearrange them to form a coherent story. And also, every two lines had to start with the same letter, which helped get the story in order.
The first letter from every 4th line then formed a clue.
The clue was run through a Vigenere cipher to get another clue.
And that final clue was the password hint.

7 Likes

OK, thanks! That doesn’t sound complicated at all.

7 Likes