Have you leveled up in February? We need your help

If you want to read the complete story, it’s on the Google sheet linked in the OP. Second tab, “Split Messages”.

Also, while the clue came from every 4th line, the key for the Vigenere cipher was the letters on every other even-numbered line (I’m not really sure what to call that… every (4n+2)th line?). Guess that’s to stop us from just getting most of the clue phrases and then guessing the rest of the way.

4 Likes

I leveled up a few days ago but I turned off email notifications a long time ago. :man_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

It’s ok, we already got all the info we needed. Thanks, though!

1 Like

Got an email for level 7 a couple weeks ago. I’ll check it out when I have time!

Edit: I now see you don’t need it anymore.

2 Likes

Yea I see that. I’ve done 4 cities via shinkansen, express train, bus, and airplane in the past two days and come back to all this. lol

3 Likes

I still don’t understand the Durtle thing, really.

It’s all just fun and eGoooott

8 Likes

Durtle are not tutles, but look a little bit similar: :durtle:
Why durtles? Well, why not. Wanikani already has the Crabigator, after all.

You can collect badges of them on the forums, there are many: Durtcat, Hungry Durtle, Alan Durtshowitz, …

Some custom emojis are also available: :durtle_durtverted_lvl1: :durtle_hello: :durtle_love:

Until recently, there was a little bit of lore around them, only available on the forums based on Koichi’s posts (if I’m not mistaken). Durtle Heaven is adding more lore, but we still don’t know many things about them.

I asked if there was a summary of this lore available somewhere, but there isn’t, so I might make one someday.

5 Likes

As far as I’m aware, durtles are created by burning turtles. We burn turtles because they represent kanji, and we want to burn kanji into memories? Turtle represents kanji because chinese used to write on turtle shells.

EDIT: Also there are like… two groups of people? The crabigators and the durtles, and they don’t like each other because crabigators eats durtles?

1 Like

It’s all fun and games until somebody eGooootts.

6 Likes

Here’s an article from Tofugu that touches on turtles and burning them. It does help clarify a bit why they use them; turns out it’s not just some random animal they decided to set on fire. :fire:

2 Likes

Amusingly, you just managed to list three that are limited-edition, and may not be easily collectible. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

There are very few that aren’t :wink:

Durtles are hard to lure :durtle_stabby:

1 Like

I wonder if they are related to Kappa? :thinking:

It’s probably best not to talk about them too much in the open. You never know when they are listening. :shushing_face:

4 Likes

8 Likes

I was gonna post the secret message for Level 60 email but someone super nija’ed it

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.