Genki Study Buddies - 「皆さんはGenkiを勉強しています」

Yeah you do have to be aware of that. Despite it’s faults, purely as a way of checking my work, I find it’s good enough for now (i.e enter into Google what I wrote). I’m on Lesson 6 right now so I’m sure once I go up the levels and into Genki II, Google translate might start tripping up more, as I expect the exercises will require more complex answers.

Would you mind doing the pair exercises at a pace of a chapter every two weeks, starting with chapter 5 or 6? If you’ve already gone ahead to other chapters, then that would just be a bit more review.

9/3-16: lesson 5
9/17-30: lesson 6
10/1-14: lesson 7
10/15-28: lesson 8
10/29-11/4: lesson 9
11/5-18: lesson 10
11/19-12/5: lesson 11 (extra time because of Thanksgiving)
12/6-20: lesson 12

If you’re still interested, I could give you my email address, and we could figure it out from there? (@alexbeldan, how do I do this safe(ish)ly?)

[EDIT: I just read your other posts, so maybe this schedule is too slow…]

If you want me to be an intermediary I can be reached at japanese@oceanofsound.net

Also, I’m visiting Japan in December so I’m at least gonna run through Genki I in the next 2 months.

1 Like

LET’S DO IT!

… I don’t remember where I was in my review of the already completed chapters.

1 Like

Chapter 1!

I’ll probably 2 chapters a week starting in October.

I could probably read two chapters a week. I’m not sure I could do the vocabulary and exercises anywhere near that quickly.

I want to be as prepped as I possibly can get before I visit. So I’m going to be doing a lot of stuff.

I’m planning on going in the spring. I hired a tutor, but I am moving too slow to communicate much beyond tourist japanese then.

So, apparently I left off with re-reading Lessons 1-10 at Lesson 7. So Lesson 7 review is next (I think I’ll go back to 6 to re-read から), and then new stuff hits me at lesson 11.

We’ll see how awake I am when I get home later tonight. ^^;

…Or else I’ll try to do all of that tomorrow.

I want to be a part of this group! I’m taking N4 in Dec so I want to be done Genki by then.

1 Like

So, I think one of the best ways to do it may be to create a slack or discord server and then create channels per chapter that we can discuss. Then we can retire it when we finish the study group.

Thoughts?

Up to you guys. I liked that document you had before. That was cool enough for me. XD

@Ryouki how’s it going with you?

EDIT: Feel free to keep posting stuff - even your partner stuff - in here if you want. If you are comfortable with that.

I’ve never used slack or discord; are those easy to learn how to use?

It’s pretty much a messaging app that only has specific people. And you can create “threads” for specific topics.

Ok, found both the apps in the play store. If I have trouble I guess I can have my husband set it up for me (if folks decide to go this route).

What do you guys do about the new vocab per lesson? Do you mostly ignore and flip back and forth or do you commit it to memory? What about the kanji? I’m in lesson 9 in the book and 6 in the workbook. I never remember the vocab so my wb time is mostly dedicated to being completely baffled by my lack of remembering stuff. I need to start using Memrise again…

@Answa You should always try to commit the vocab to memory if you want to be able to use your Japanese ability. If you don’t learn it, you won’t be able to speak, listen, write, or even read Japanese since you’ll forever be searching for the word that you don’t know. I would also suggest that you synchronize your Genki chapters with your workbook chapters so that you aren’t too far ahead of yourself. The workbook reinforces the vocab for the chapter somewhat. I normally put them in anki or write them on physical flashcards, but it’s all preference. I find anki is best when committing them to long term memory while flashcards are handy when I have a test the next day, and I need to put them into short term memory fast.

I have this genki app that helps me with the vocab this is the iOS link:

I looked at the apple store but didn’t see it, I have never owned an apple product so maybe I just suck at finding there apps

hope it is useful to someone :slight_smile:

PS there is also a really cool video explanation of the grammar points on youtube

Hi! I recently started Genki 1. I am not actually an absolute beginner but sort of decided to do it the WaniKani way… instead of skipping over the basics I’m going over everything from scratch! I really wanted to try Genki out and so far it seems great.

I have the Workbook as well, and the answer key!
I did lesson 1 yesterday and would like to tackle 1 lesson per week (textbook + workbook). I don’t want to go too slow or too fast, since I’m complementing with other reading, wanikani, etc.

I would love to be buddies. Maybe at a rate of 1 per week we can try to catch up to @Saruko, @chezmax, @alexbeldan and @AnimeCanuck if they’re doing 1 every two weeks?

2 Likes

I’ve only heard of discord so I never used it before but I’d give it a try! Sounds neat.

1 Like