Forecasting Reviews on the Dashboard

Just logged in on my work computer and I have to admit the layout is much better for square screened computers. everything is visible on the screen at the same time. It seems the layout issue arises when using wider rectangular screens, as forecast and kanji info is cut off.

Here’s a picture for comparison

2 Likes

At what point today is the new interface going live on the main servers?

Considering that it’s barely early morning in their timezone, probably sometime during the next 12 hours.

2 Likes

I like the new dashboard. Thanks a lot to Wanikani’s team for all the continous improvement. To be fair, may be the suggestion that others have posted previously could be considered: may be the lessons and reviews buttons could be a bit smaller :slight_smile:
But for the rest, kudos!

It’s on our short list — it’s a great idea we’ll get in place.

Now that we’ve seen this, we can’t un-see it. It’s also on our short list.

Alright, everyone. Thanks for all the feedback, positive or negative. We’ve read all the comments, and considered everyone’s thoughts. We’re going to stew on most of them and see what shakes out for the next round of improvements to the dashboard.

We hear you on the size of the buttons, and mobile sizing is at the top of the “for sure” list. It might be a little while (other projects in progress and such), but we will address the sizing concerns.

In the mean time, the changes are going live — they’ll be up in just a couple minutes.

12 Likes

The giant buttons just reminded me that I forgot to re-enable vacation mode after fixing a script. :sweat_smile:

By the way, the little popup for Guru and Enlightened gets slightly cut off.

Anyway, nice work! I’m sure the many users who don’t come to the forums will also appreciate the update.

1 Like

I think the usage of black and white for 0/0 makes having it kinda depressing to be honest. In my opinion, the images should show some sort of celebration for having things up to date (as 0/0 is a clear sign that the user is up to date with their studies), not the opposite.

Still thinking that displaying days with no reviews is not relevant. It would be best to display future days with reviews instead.

I appreciate the fact that I can minimize the days on the Review Forecast. One cool thing to add to it would be for the page to remember how I left it last time (closed or open). Right now, if I close it, leave the page and come back, it will go back to being open.

10 Likes

Highly personalized dashboard

5 Likes

I agree, it looked very lively this morning when I had both lessons and reviews pending. I then spent an hour working through it and I get congratulated by… sadness?

10 Likes

This update makes me seriously consider getting back into scripting, just to revert as much of it as I can. To me - personal opinion here, in case that wasn’t obvious from the fact that we’re talking design - it’s just a huge waste of screen real estate, with several things that annoy me and literally nothing that’s in any way useful for me. It almost makes me want to close the site again as soon as I open it.

The review and lesson buttons were perfect the way they were before. And the forecast widget is less useful than the Ultimate Timeline - it takes up a lot of space and times are only visible after expanding a day. Plus of course, it’s not configurable at all - while the timeline has several options to pick and choose from in order to get the most out of it.

Again, personal opinion - but I’m very disappointed.

4 Likes

Would it be possible to get timezone as an account based setting? It’s quite annoying that the site get’s it completely wrong.

4 Likes

Just to add that I like this :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I think it’s super cute

2 Likes

Like several others have already suggested, I’d like an option to change to a 24-hour time format in the Review Forecast, since AM/PM isn’t used in my country. Other than that, it all looks great!

5 Likes

love the new dashboard tool!! Keep up the good work WK Team! :slight_smile:

This is pretty cool! For me its a good motivation to do some reviews as I can see how much longer I can procrastinate before its getting too much to do again :wink:

I used a script before to see that but this way its way nicer! Well done, thanks!

Kumirei actually made a script for that. Here it is:

2 Likes

So far, this has made me keep up with my reviews more regularly! I can see when they’ll be added to so I have a idea of how often I should pop in for a review. Loving it~~~!

1 Like

Merus, thanks so much for the timing idea. I never really thought about doing new ones in the morning and then reviewing 4 hours later. That’s helpful! I know I read somewhere what the review schedule was, but I forget. Is there a place somewhere that explains the overview of WaniKani’s approach and the review patterns? I think I need a refresher. Also, I wonder why I’m moved up to the next level so soon (it seems to me). It shows me all these kanji and vocab for my new level, but I don’t start to get them for a long time after supposedly moving up! What’s with that? :wink: Those are the kinds of things I’d love to understand so I could create a more effective study plan.

If you can handle scripts, there’s already a script for that.