"Flesh&Blood" Pirate Series Reading Club šŸ“ā€ā˜  ā›µ

The later volume covers are super nice, I agree!

3 Likes

I just adore the visual style. Itā€™s so detailed. Itā€™s a bit watercolor-aesthetics, but I think itā€™s actually ink-coloration? Iā€™m not sure at all. But itā€™s certainly lovely. :heart: Wonā€™t post a pic right now, but maybe laters when weā€™ve gotten to know the main cast and thereā€™s no spoilers as such in the images. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A comment:

As for these forums, the Saezuru tori wa habatakanai-bookclub was a good test balloon. The Mods donā€™t mind it if we discuss content thatā€™s 18+ on these forums, as long as we just keep it restrained and within spoiler tags and generally respect forum rules.

But, what I learned from that club, is that any kind of smexy content might not even be what we wanna particularly discuss! :joy: Like the language questions are more interesting. Some vocab might be a bit out there, but thatā€™s in Google docs, and nothing should be too ā€œintenseā€ for the forums to handle. We really never had any issues to navigate the series in the end.

And I doubt this forum will have any issues with this one for sure. :slight_smile:

Just some reflections. ^>^

3 Likes

Does this series ever get to that point, do you know?

1 Like

I have listened to the Drama CD series until CD (release) 21, and yes, there will be some during this span of storytelling. Itā€™s a very long series, and as @NicoleIsEnough said, it will not be that clearly a focus. Romance rather might exist. And the smexy themes are rather sidelined (there are for sure series with more focus that way). And there are other, possibly triggering themes, but I just canā€™t name them without spoilers, but yeah. Itā€™s a series aimed at adults, that are presumed to be able to handle whatever the story goes into. But mainly, itā€™s very much a ā€œhistorical dramaā€, if I were to put a name on the genre. ā€œHistorical drama and intrigueā€ - that sort of thing.

Edit: if think itā€™s fair to say the story, as much as it is historical drama, is afflicted with the light novel idea of romance/ā€œpossibly moreā€ as a part of the story writing. I think this ā€œflirtingā€ with the reader/listener is a major part of the series. But it also lacks the explicitness of other BL/YAOI-series

6 Likes

Eh, thatā€™s funny, I didnā€™t even think about the rules of this forum. That being said, that was mostly rhetorical, based on @NicoleIsEnough description of the first volume (as in I expected the narration to inform us the had slept together rather than being ā€œshownā€ them sleeping together Edit: especially since my library is carrying it, while having a rule against 18+ stuff)
I canā€™t really imagine the use case, though. Copy/pasting an explicit part to ask about the grammar/what is going on? :thinking:

Edit2: Somehow went to the next message without seeing this part, so my first edit makes no sense :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you for the heads up! Iā€™ve added the link to the Vol. 1 OP (and changed the link in this OP to point to the whole series in Natively, in order to match the scope of this thread).

No worries :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Quick heads-up to those of you who havenā€™t bought the books yet (or want to buy more): Bookwalker currently offers a coin cashback on the books (40% on the core price without taxes, as it seems) until 2022-06-13T14:59:00Z.
You need a VPN to buy the books (I can recommend Tunnelbear) but you can read the books without VPN in the Bookwalker app.

4 Likes

If youā€™re reading this, Amazon, a nice 40%-50% sale would do wonders in having me impulse buy a ton of volumes. :eyes: Just sayinā€™.

3 Likes

Some people do that on the Bookwalker sales too :eyes:

at least thatā€™s what a friend said :innocent:

I already bought Vol. 2 (with a 50% voucher I recently got) but Iā€™m currently contemplating buying the next 2 volumes or so. Not sure whether this might get annoying at some point though? OTOH, so far I really liked it, so it will probably not become too bad too soonā€¦

5 Likes

It all depends; Iā€™ve argued both ways with my own purchases. :thinking: Maybe, with a series as long as this, allow yourself to buy X number of volumes ahead for the hype, but you have to actually read one before you can buy another after that?

I impulse bought a bunch of ęœ¬å„½ć, so now Iā€™ve got piles of it laying around when I havenā€™t even read the first book. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s a good point. I have so many books on my pile, and there will always be a sale at some point. Plus, most Japanese books are really cheap compared to books in Germany, so itā€™s not that Iā€™m dependent on buying on sale only. I think Iā€™ll grab one to make sure, and then thatā€™s it. Thanks for your help! :smiling_face:

4 Likes

Same in the US; I nearly had a heart attack one time when I saw a Kindle book being charged at the same price as the hardback edition. Thatā€™s not usual (afaik) thankfully, but I really am spoiled, being able to buy F&B for about $5-$6 a pop.

3 Likes

I gave the first volume a start around a month ago, but then I got distracted by life in general. Iā€™m now on holiday so will make a fresh start to read it. ^^

How are people doing so far? Thoughts about the story?

5 Likes

I finished it a few weeks ago; I really enjoyed it! Posted my thoughts as I went along in the volume 1 thread. Iā€™m super excited to read volume 2 when we get to it!

3 Likes

:woman_facepalming: Iā€™m so far behind that I forgot it existed! XD Iā€™ll be checking out your comments sooner rather than later! :bowing_woman:

2 Likes

I added some pages from the Character book to the Wiki. I hope thatā€™s alright! ^>^

There are more I could add, but they only appear much later in the story, so Iā€™m keeping those for the time being.

Remind me if I forget, but itā€™s not for several volumes soā€¦

3 Likes

omigosh, I have a copy of that book ordered! I saw it and :heart_eyes:. I love artbooks in general, and the artist for the later F&B covers is just mwah.

2 Likes

Ooooh, I am jealous of both of you! It looks gorgeous :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Helpful to imagine the characters too! Thanks for posting @ekg!

3 Likes

I think I mightā€™ve gotten lucky finding it, to be honest. Got it secondhand off of Yahoo Auctions for like 5000 yen. Probably overpaid, but my instincts were telling me that if I didnā€™t grab it I wouldnā€™t see another listing for a while. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes