"Flesh&Blood" Pirate Series Reading Club šŸ“ā€ā˜  ā›µ

Excellent, thanks! No worries on the chapter percentages; weā€™ll have plenty of time to work that out.

1 Like

Very strange! I tried to rename chapter 8 out of curiosity but it didnā€™t work for me either :crazy_face:
Maybe Google thinks ā€œChapter 8ā€ and ā€œChapter 9ā€ are cursed terms?! :grin:

3 Likes

Itā€™s a first for me that this has happened. Some kind of ghost chapters are haunting the vocab sheet. :ghost:

3 Likes

I did indeed find the story interesting from what you told us, but I feel like you overestimate my ability to read. :joy:

Not sure my first light novel/novel is gonna be something historical. That seems like a big difficulty spike. :sweat_smile:

Otherwise I would love to read with you guys. :pleading_face:

4 Likes

My main point was to keep you in the loop - and then you are of course free to decide what to do with that :joy_cat:
Regarding the difficulty of the book, I think that itā€™s not super difficult, and there are really straightforward passages (mainly when ā€œsomething happensā€ - I always find that easier to read) but it definitely has its tougher parts (if only because they contain more unusual vocabulary). The book also features a nice assortment of grammar. Having said all that, I think it wouldnā€™t be impossible for you! (Donā€™t underestimate your abilities - I found your åŠć£ć”ć‚ƒć‚“ not exactly easy either ^^) But I know how frustrating it can be to slowly chew through such a text. So maybe get two or three other books under your belt, and then see you next year? :wink:

4 Likes

:flushed:

When Iā€™ve gotten through some of my stack, Iā€™m definitely all game for reading this. :smiley:

3 Likes

I checked into it this morning, and it looks like there were previously-existing tabs called ā€˜Chapter 8ā€™ and ā€˜Chapter 9ā€™ already hanging around. They only showed up when I clicked the ā€˜All Sheetsā€™ button to the left of the sheet tabs. I went ahead and hopefully un-hid them, and since they already seemed to have some vocabulary in them, deleted the wonky Chapter Eight and Nine tabs.

I also see hidden tabs for a bunch of Extras and Chapters 10-15; what would you like to do about those?

edit: Iā€™ve requested the book(s) on Natively as well!

3 Likes

This is an interesting discovery. I did copy this from??? club originally. I think itā€™s fine to just delete it all. Iā€™ll take a look later tonight! :slight_smile:

Edit: it might have been from the Saezuru book club now that I had a look at it! XD

But the extras I donā€™t recognize at all. Lol. ^^ā€™

Edit 2: Okay I deleted the whole lot of it. I have no idea what those things were.

2 Likes

This sounds interesting, but Iā€™m intimated by the history stuff. I wonder if I would be able to manage it.
Can someone guess the approximate level of the first volume?

2 Likes

Ah, nice! I requested them this morning as well :blush:
(was a bit wary because of the BL stuff but as it turned out to be very light on that topic for at least the first volume, I thought why not)

I compared it (in my head) to a few other books Iā€˜ve read, and it might probably end up around level 32-33 or something?

5 Likes

I figure a bookā€™s a book, right? Natively doesnā€™t favor specific content, right?

2 Likes

Well, they dis-favor some content though :sweat_smile: I did not follow their rules on this in detail (because Iā€™m usually not interested in such books), but I think the only rule for now is ā€œno full nudity on the coverā€. Still, as I was not sure, I thought Iā€™d rather be safe than sorry :grin:, thatā€™s why I did not request it right from the start.

1 Like

Ah, interesting. I have to admit I didnā€™t thoroughly look over their rules before submitting. Should probably do that in the futureā€¦ >.>

Well, the series is available at my local library soooo, Iā€™ll read it at some point, I guess?
The schedule of borrowing books means I wonā€™t be able to follow any proper schedule, though (except if we read a volume in 4 weeks top :upside_down_face:)

Yes, thatā€™s the only rule. If thereā€™s explicit content, you can write it in the comment section when requesting the book.

Iā€™ve added a TL book (so, 18+) on Natively myself and confirmed the rules at the time.
Also, I feel like the cover of regular light novels aimed at men are regularly worse than most TL covers I have seen so farā€¦
(which can be a problem in itself; I started reading that book because the cover was pretty and I didnā€™t know it was 18+ā€¦)

6 Likes

Sounds a bit tough, but might give it a try either way.
Can I ask questions on the first volume in here or will there be a separate topic? :thinking:
As far as I understood it everyone should read the volume 1 by themselves and then there might be a schedule for volume 2, right?

Edit:
Ah I re-checked the entry post and it stated discussion is fine. So I might do that then. Sorry for not checking properly! :smiley:

3 Likes

Great! Weā€™re all here to help. (I hope I remember all the answers I got when I read vol. 1, as I had quite a few questions as well :grin:)

When I started this, I did not know it would become so popular! :sweat_smile: I thought we might be maybe 3 people and would sort of give some updates every few weeks. But if there is more discussion than that (which would be great! please donā€™t get me wrong), I think it might be less confusing to have one thread per volume. I will set it up and link it in the OP. Iā€™ve created a thread and linked it in the OP. Here it is as well: "Flesh&Blood" Vol. 1 - Pirate Series Reading Club šŸ“ā€ā˜  ā›µ

I think there will be a group for vol. 1 starting from June? But of course you are free to read it whenever :blush:

5 Likes

The historical stuff sounds like itā€™ll be pretty hard but it sounds fun so I think Iā€™ll join in :smile: I should have time to start in June as well, just need to figure out how to work a vpn.

5 Likes

Alrighty, the book was added to Natively! (With an impressively crusty cover image, I might add.) I added a link to the OP here; would you mind adding it to the vol 1 discussion thread as well @NicoleIsEnough?

Also, apologies in advance when I totally forget thereā€™s a separate thread and start posting thoughts/questions on volume 1 here. @.@

6 Likes

Awesome that you made a separate thread for volume 1. Since we turned out to be a small group that is interested in trying reading it, it just makes more sense. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve copied the vocab sheet also, to make a volume 2 one later! Just ping me for a link to it later this summer/autumn or when we get started on volume 2. :+1:

2 Likes

Just wait until the later volumes, I think from vol 3 onward, when they change the illustrator for the series. :eyes: (I have the Drama CDs, so, thatā€™s how I know)

Edit: the visuals of the series becomes stunning! <3 Really, second level stuff. I think they, after the series appeared to be able to keep on going and with the Drama CD releases, yeah, they got more funding for it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes