Finally level 60!

Yes. https://www.wanikani.com/settings/danger_zone

1 Like

intimidating

1 Like

I experienced the same issue when I was learning English.
the only thing that helped me is Listening Practice. I used Effortless english: first I read the script. thenI listen to the same audio over and over.
at the beginning, I needed to really focus in order to comprehend all material, but after a few months of practice, I become able to listen automatically and smoothly.
I highly recommend finding good material for listening practice.

3 Likes

You could always do Tobira and the Core series of vocabulary on Anki. Or you can make your own study materials by sentence mining with a program like substosrs. For example, take your favourite drama series and for every word you don’t understand, make a flash card with the sentence for context and audio for shadowing practice.

1 Like

4 Likes

Congratulations! Try a Meetup or other community event, often meeting monthly, in your area. I haven’t done this yet myself, but when I become competent, I plan on doing this for the same reason.

よっかた!それに、自信の事について、大丈夫なんですね。italkiには沢山すごくて、
優しい先生があるから!特にけん先生!Ken-先生 on iTalki

頑張って〜〜〜〜!:smiley::smiley::smiley:

It’s people like you and comments like this that keep productive discussion from taking place. I live in Japan and I posted facts - I use many words I learn here on Wanikani and I am told by native speakers that no one uses them.

So I asked a question. But fuck me right?

His criticism is constructive. Stop trying to use words without looking them up thoroughly first and you won’t have anything to complain about.

Hey you know what they say about opinions. Move along

No thanks.

There are few members here as helpful and beneficial to the community as polv, so I’ll stand up for him if someone has a beef with him.

Considering that he’s not a native English speaker, my first assumption isn’t going to be that he’s trying to say “fuck you” if you feel slighted by what he wrote.

6 Likes

Big man behind the keyboard “standing up” for someone being disagreed with. “beef”? No, I’m not 16.

I’ll try again because you seem incessant about replying - I stated facts about what I’m being told by native speakers of Japanese in my OP. I felt like asking so… I asked. If that registers as “complaining” to you, then that’s your problem. I got plenty of helpful comments on the thread.

1 Like

Yeah, it was complaining about WK.

You said polv is a detriment to WK, it doesn’t bother me to that you want to take a shot at the fact that we’re on internet and not in real life when I say “you’re wrong.”

And if you don’t think any of my comments in the topic were helpful, I can remove them.

Sorry that I offended you. I removed the word and the link.

Hey man, nice to meet you. I’ve been on WK a while but I don’t spend much time on the forums. I heard from another poster that you’re one of the most helpful people here. I appreciate your respectful reply.

I might have seemed like I was complaining. I have to admit it was concerning after it happened several times for me. I should’ve paid closer attention to my words. I didnt mean to sound that way. Perhaps I truly just used obscure words that aren’t used in daily life and it’s normal. In any case, I do think you’re right and will continue to look up words I decide to use. I tried to stop that since it took a ton of time and I felt slowed my speech acquisition considerably.

Just a quick note on another poster I replied to. I wasn’t going to reply any further but I was attacked by someone else and decided to reply in kind. I should have taken the high road as you have done with your reply to me just now. It’s a good reminder for all of us that keeping a cool head is best. Especially as we are all members of the same on community.

Sorry for replying so combatively and I look forward to hearing your advice in new threads.

1 Like

Glad you hugged it out.

I do like that you pretended I started it though :wink:

Congratulations MelterSan!

To listening and speaking training I recommend Glossika and https://courses.edx.org/courses/course-v1:WasedaX+JPC111x+1T2017/info

Not sure if this suggestion was already given… but try to watch videos on youtube in a slower speed (change it in the settings)… and gradually increase it. That might be a way to practice without bothering anyone ^^ and if you watch JP youtubers, you’ll also be hearing from Natives, so it fixes all your problems at once.

EDIT: Also, not sure if this might be useful but there’s a JP youtuber that is teaching Japanese for beginners and she is adding scripts to every video. It might be too simple for you but I’ll leave it in here just in case…

3 Likes

おめどとうございます!

I hit 60 today. It’s been a long journey, but I’m glad I finally got here. I will move to Japan next month, so it’s pretty good timing. I wish Wanikani had the remaining joyo kanji however.

9 Likes