Finally level 60 😃✌️

the last levels are faster than you can do, because they are shorter.

Generally it is possible to do a level in 6 days 20 hours. But that will require you doing certain lessons and reviews (new radicals and their kanji afterwards) instantly when they come up. When I tried to go at that speed it took me probably around 2 hours a day on many days.

1 Like

com-add-text

Time to enjoy that well-earned level 60 cake :cake::grin::tada:

com-gif-maker

5 Likes

Best of luck on the N1, and great job on always getting back in the saddle. Your graph is interesting because of the skew on the early levels - did you get more interested in Japanese at some point, or just prioritise WK/kanji study differently?

1 Like

Excellent, congrats!

1 Like

@Borx ありがとう!
Chiya Anime GIF - Chiya Anime Cute GIFs

@iNomNomAwesome Wooooooo!!!

@johnsonversion Try to stay consistent but don’t hate yourself if you slip up; just try to get back into a groove.

@Chopper
「日常の東雲なのが嬉しくはしゃぐGIF画像」の画像検索結果

@MinimalTao It’s very exciting but scary in equal measure. WK gamifies kanji learning and it feels soo different to use native material as my main resource. (I wouldn’t even be able to read a kids’ book without WK though- totally worth it.)

@Powerpuncher
「ありがとう gif」の画像検索結果

@tododoki
関連画像

@MissMisc
関連画像
(it’s cake)

@hmapy thank you!

8 Likes

Thank you so much!!
It might be more commonly known as the Wanikani Override script. [Userscript] Wanikani Override (“ignore answer button”)
It adds a button at the bottom of your review screen that lets you retry a review. I use it for really bad spelling mistakes that are marked wrong and also when I’m close enough meaning-wise that I would mark it correct (this can get very dangerous very quickly so be careful if you decide to use the script).

I used WK for about an hour a day in the fast levels. It wasn’t that bad to be honest, I just took a break whenever I felt it was too much (hence my 5 day levels).

Thank you for the words of encouragement!
I was never disinterested in Japanese, I just stopped using WK consistently for a while. I thought I could learn kanji by osmosis, and stopped using WK, but that only worked up to about level 25 kanji. A year ago I decided I’d come back to WK again and learn properly. I have yet to regret my decision :smiley:

1 Like

Only an hour a day? I’ve just entered the fast levels and I feel like I’ve spent much more than that lately. Not sure if your memory is just that good or I spend too much time per item :thinking:

1 Like

@RysingDragon
(Read the following at your own risk)

Definitely not the right way to use WK

I had a habit of just flipping through kanji lessons a couple of times without actually using the mnemonics. I then left it up to repeated reviews to memorize the kanji. Not a good idea but definitely a fast one.

(I haven’t had much trouble remembering the kanji from 45-60 using this method but I still wouldn’t recommend it.)

Also: I left a lot of my burn/enlightened reviews until I reached Level 60 and I’m in the process of doing them right now. Not a bad idea.

Congratulations!!! celebrates
I can’t wait till I’m there. Often I see other people getting it all done within a year and a bit and get all worried about my slow progress. So seeing someone taking longer in the beginning like me but getting there anyway just by continuing and not letting the world dishearten you is really inspiring and makes me happy ^-^
Good luck on your N1 exam!!

4 Likes

Thank you so much!
I’m happy I could help you. It’s really not important how fast you go- what matters is that you don’t burn out and don’t stop.
Don’t let other people worry you at all!

1 Like

Congratulations! Well deserved lvl 60

By the way, would you still feel like rejected from society?

1 Like

And certainly you can be proud of a lot more than that. Yeah a few false starts, but clearly you stuck with it after that. Really, your solid performance through the majority of the progression let’s you erase your rocky start.

Congrats!

1 Like

Great! I wish I could learn that quickly ! :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you!
I hope this is a reference to the group I made in Race to the Cake.
I really didn’t know what else to do with it so I deleted it :sweat_smile:

I never really felt rejected I was just going through a rebellious teen phase

1 Like

Thank you!! Despite what I said I am proud of myself. I’m so happy I stuck with it and beat the odds.

There really is cake :durtle_durverted_lvl2:

1 Like

I also have slow process myself, just got to keep going though. My recall is not great and even now its almost 12am and im trying to catch up on reviews after a long day of work and stuff to do.
Either way some progress is better then none.
Learning kanji in general is not a easy process, but some do it little quicker then others.

1 Like

おめでとう!

4 years is a pretty reasonable rate overall I’d say (much more sane than the 1 year it took someone recently…). It’s taken me 9 months to get 16 levels (level 6-21), though admittedly, I was familiar with a lot of the kanji already, but even so, if I manage to keep up a similar pace for the later (and newer) kanji, I should be done in about another 2.5-3 years or so.

1 Like

Slow and steady wins the race!
ã€Œé ‘å¼µã‚Œ gif」の画像検索結果

2 Likes