Expressing happiness for another person

Hi world of WaniKani~

I’m currently going through the Genki II textbook, and I’m reading about てよかったです. They translated it as meaning “I am glad that…”, but the examples only talk about “I’m glad that I…” or “I’m glad that [third party]…”, so I wanted to ask if you could use this to directly say “I’m glad that you…”.

For example, if I wanted to say something like “I’m glad that you returned home safe” could it be “家に安全帰ってよかったです。”? Or would you need to say the person’s name you’re talking to, or あなた or きみ with it? (Also to be fair I’m not sure if that’s the correct way to say “safe” in that context, so if there’s a better word please let me know!)

Yes. You can do that. The subject depends on the context. A friendly way to say it is 無事に帰ってよかった。

One of the big things about Japanese grammar is that a lot of involves distinguishing viewpoints. In this particular case, you can only use emotive language when referring to your own emotions, because you don’t know the emotions of others. So yes, using ~てよかったです always refers to your own happiness regardless of the topic of the sentence.

If you want to express the emotions of others, you need to use modifiers like ~がる (shows signs of ~), ~そう (seems like ~), ~と言った (they told me that ~), ~と聞いた (I heard that ~), and so forth.

While accurate, I didn’t get the sense that the OP was trying to refer to other people’s feelings. Hopefully it doesn’t confuse matters.

To summarize what the other two said, yes you can say that you are happy that your family member returned safe. Although the person who is happy is always going to be yourself, the person who did the thing that made you happy can be someone else.