Example sentences sometimes use the wrong word

I’ve just learned 散らかす (to scatter something), but the example sentence used 散らかる (to be scattered). This made me get the answer wrong twice before realising my mistake, and will likely make me get it wrong months later because I’ll remember that example sentence.
This has definitely happened before with other words too. Why even bother having example sentences if you’re not going to use the word in them?

It does use 散らかす. It just happens to also use 散らかる earlier in the sentence.

Give us examples that fit that description if you know of them though.

So it does :cold_sweat:
I’ve looked through some vocab and couldn’t find any examples. I swear this has happened before but it might have just been the English translation not quite matching with the Japanese, similar to the 散らかす sentence.

I don’t know if this counts, but for 〜札 as a suffix, it says the kun’yomi should be used, but the example sentences all use stuff like 二千円札 where I thought it was read さつ, as suggested by the other vocab (千円札). This is kind of confusing because there are no furigana, so when you read the description for the suffix and then the sentences, you’d kind of assume it is read ふだ in that context.

That’s already been mentioned on the forum before and an update is scheduled IIRC.

I see, thanks for the info :slight_smile:

You’re welcome.

@Kristen

The second example sentence for 変 (level 15) doesn’t use the vocab 変 at all

同じ仕事をしているのに男性の方が女性よりきゅう料が高いなんてぜっ対におかしいよ!
It’s absolutely absurd that men get higher pay than women despite doing the same work!

This is not really urgent, that’s why I didn’t write an email to hello@wanikani.com

Luckily someone did email in, so this was fixed probably in the exact minute you posted this. :wink:

Ah, so it’s fixed? :grinning:

It is on my end! I’m not 100% sure how long it takes for things in the admin to show for you guys. I think it depends on how recently you viewed the item or caching or something like that. But the sentence is this now:

同じ仕事をしているのに男性の方が女性よりきゅう料が高いなんてぜっ対にだよ!

:+1:

I do see the correction now, thanks! (tbh, though, I usually don’t go back and check, just trust that things are fixed if you guys say they are :sweat_smile:)

Does the team usually prefer email or forum for these sorts of things? Sometimes I’m afraid I’m a bother…

Email is definitely preferred! (hello@wanikani.com)

And I want to be emailed about any error/typo/weirdness people see. There is SO much content on the site that it’s really easy for a little mistake to slip by and go unnoticed for years unless the people seeing it report it.

So please report things you see! I try to fix everything ASAP, but I can only fix something if I know it exists. And I super appreciate all the people who constantly send me the mistakes they find.

I just wish there was a form during reviews and on item pages for sending small errors like this. I’ve definitely seen errors that I haven’t reported because I didn’t feel like sending an email. :disappointed:

There’s a little pencil at the bottom right corner during Lessons and Reviews that will open a new tab to our contact form so you can report errors without stopping. On the main site the Contact link at the bottom will open that as well when you’re on item pages.

hello psodksaf

Also, as a heads up, when you fill out the contact form it doesn’t tell us what page you were looking at, so please remember to include that in your report to make things a little easier on us. :wink:

Sounds like a useful feature to add. :slight_smile:

子どものころ、寺のとなりに住んでいたので、仏教の勉強には大変都合が良かったんです。
I lived next to a temple when I was a child and learning Buddhism was incredibly advantageous.

I think learning Buddhism (if you’re inclined to do so) is advantageous regardless of where you live. But living next to the temple probably makes it convenient (都合)?

あっ、フグのくちびるの形は変えないでください。それはコウイチの好物のタラコをモチーフにしているんです。変えたらコウイチが悲しみます。
Oh, please do not change the shape of Fugu. That was motived by Koichi’s favorite food, cod roe. If you change it, Koichi will be sad.

Or perhaps do not change the shape of Fugu’s lips?

天気予ほうでは、明日も明日も明々後日も晴れでしょうって言ってたよ。
The weather forecast said that it will be clear tomorrow, a day after tomorrow, and two days from now.

Probably missing a 後? Should be 明日も明後日も明々後日も…