Doing reviews on phone vs. computer

I use my phone if I have more than 50 reviews in the morning so I do it on my commute to work. Otherwise I either do it at lunchtime on my work PC or on my laptop at home when I get back after work. I concentrate better infront of a screen compared to a phone and i’m not sure why. I feel like i’ve got a shorter attention span with my phone.

1 Like

Kumirei, you are on level 60, cool! May I ask, how long did it take you to get there? How many reviews per day does WaniKani give you at this stage? Are you reading Japanese texts more or less effortlessly now_

2 Likes

Took me about two years at 192 reviews per day reviewed. Although I only reviewed on about 400 days. I read most manga without much effort, but I still need some more grammar (which is more important than kanji anyway) to do the same for novels

1 Like

I usually use my phone since I can only do WK reviews on commute during workdays. But if I have 150++ reviews, its faster to do it in the computer.

Thanks for the prompt reply! Where can one see the stats like the ones you shared about your progress?

2 Likes

My very own heatmap script!

6 Likes

I prefer using a pc because a full physical keyboard makes typing much faster and more accurate + I have a hover dictionary which is super useful for lessons.

But I do lessons and reviews on my phone when I don’t have a pc handy or the batch of reviews/lessons is small and I don’t want to get behind a desk.

I only ever do 50+ reviews on a phone when I’m travelling and I don’t have a laptop.

1 Like

I have primarily used the computer, but make it important to do the reviews as soon as they show up. So when I am not a computer when it is review time, I do them on the phone. Trying to not let anything get in the way of doing reviews.

I am in Level 3, so we shall see how long my determination holds :purple_heart: :innocent:

1 Like

It depends on where I am. If I have access to a computer that is easy, I prefer a computer because I type much faster than I text, additionally, my phone screen protector is cracked and creates a bunch of really wonky typos. With that in mind, I generally prefer a computer, however, my phone is really easy to do this on the go. I think that if Wanikani were computer only then I would have had a really hard time keeping up with it / making it a habit.

1 Like

honestly sometimes all you got is your phone so do them on your phone even if it feels crutch

2 Likes

I use my phone when I have nothing else to do but I prefer the computer for reviews; typing on a phone is difficult haha!!

On the other hand I actually like doing lessons on my phone better than on the computer, since I can put headphones in and listen to audio more easily.

2 Likes

I prefer to do reviews and lessons on my PC, I find it much easier to type using a keyboard and I’m more focused. Also I have a few scripts, (I just love the Burn Bell and Woah Burn scripts, they make me sooo happy) :partying_face:
I use my phone to do reviews if I’m not at home or I’m in bed and too lazy to get to my PC.

3 Likes

I am actually using an attachment keyboard or a bluetooth keyboard on my iPad. I usually prefer it over the on-display keyboard.

3 Likes

Then I assume you don’t rely on or use any userscripts?

I only use userscripts when I’m on my PC.

1 Like

:astonished: Finally! A self-avowed kindred spirit! I am glad that I am not the only one who uses this combination of scripts :upside_down_face:

Thanks @Kumirei-先輩 for your wonderful scriptmaking abilities!
Who’s a fan of your work?
:high_touch:

4 Likes

Pretty sure I am my biggest fan

2 Likes

Also I am glad to hear that people are using Burn Bell. I didn’t think it would get any traction

2 Likes

n00b here. I prefer using my computer, but I use the phone much more as I don’t really know Romanji - and I can type exclusively in Hiragana on my phone, which I think helps me learn better. Maybe? Not sure.

Just to make things clear, you just typed an entire paragraph in romaji.

2 Likes