Anyone who use Wanikani on a PC

I’m using WaniKani through my phone and it’s dealt easy and I was wondering of any of you use it though a PC.
If so do you think it’s best to use a PC and did you have any problems while useing WaniKani? :smiley_cat:

I use mac, but I don’t think that’s relevant. I prefer doing my reviews on a full computer because I can tear through them way faster with a full size keyboard.

6 Likes

PC mainly so I can use the ridiculous number of scripts. But I do occasionally use the Android app on my phone.

6 Likes

I use my Mac, purely because it’s easier with a bigger keyboard (I don’t use my phone much in general) and I also use WK at work a lot, so it looks more professional. I doubt my coworkers would have a problem with me studying on my phone, but since it’s big and WK uses lots of pretty colours, my coworkers get curious and talk to me (yay for speaking practice!) and are happy that I’m making an effort to learn their language~

I do have the Android app tho

1 Like

@Borx is the app any good? I’m useing WaniKani through Google chrome.

It incorporates some of the desktop scripts, so I would definitely recommend it over just using the website in Chrome.

1 Like

There’s also a script to make WK less colourful and look more professional and blend in with office work… XD

I don’t have a computer at work, but I found it amusing when I stumbled upon it.

5 Likes

I use both windows computer and Android. I prefer the pc over the phone. I tend to be able to do my reviews about twice as fast.

The scripts are very useful as well. I love the ultimate timeline to see what’s going on.

1 Like

On one hand, I can’t even use that at my job because the computer won’t let me use tampermonkey. On the other hand, I’m encouraged to learn Japanese during the day, so it’s not a big deal for people to see me on WK. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d probably use my computer (a PC) for Wanikani more if I could just figure out how to use the damn scripts. Sure, I could spend like 10 min Googling it and figure it out, but especially now that I’ve been using the Allicrab app, which has some script options built in, I never seem to get around to figuring out the scripts thing.

The main differences on PC vs iPhone for me are:

• Convenience: phone is always with me, so I can do reviews whenever, pretty much wherever

• Keyboard options: With a computer, I can type a lot faster (though I’ve added user synonyms for almost everything to accommodate phone use). However, with my phone, I have the option of using both English & Japanese keyboards – technically an option on computer, but impractical compared to how easy it is to switch back and forth on the phone.

• Scripts: On my phone, the app allows me to use a few scripts, whereas (in theory) I could make full use of scripts on my computer. Reorder, in particular, being a option I’d love to have, and ought to look into again.

• Appearance: Having gone almost a year accessing Wanikani entirely on iPhone, I was surprised at how huge and gaudy reviews looked on a computer screen (something I could also change with a script, of course). Maybe it’s just because of familiarity, but I still prefer the proportions/interface on the phone.

Btw, I previously accessed Wanikani on my phone through Safari, then switchd to the Allicrab app a couple months back; on my computer, I usually use Chrome. If that matters.

If you care to learn how to use scripts, Mempo has you covered.

4 Likes

I use PC and it all works just fine for me. I can’t compare though, because I don’t have a smartphone

Aaand bookmarked. Should’ve figured some helpful person had already done this! Yay. Thanks for letting me know.

As a mature age student, I don’t like tapping on a smartphone keyboard. Touch typing on a real keyboard is so much faster. The third party userscripts like ultimate timeline and ultimate re-order are only accessible on my computer.

However, when I am outdoors, riding on a train, waiting for a friend etc, the smartphone app is invaluable for keeping my reviews completed. I don’t want to come home to 100+ reviews, if I could have done them during the day. During ski season, I could ski and complete reviews by using my smartphone during gondola rides.

2 Likes

MacAir 11" because

1.1 kg, very portable
Touch typing
20+ userscripts

I use Safari.

I do both - I use Allicrab (iOS) when I’m out and about and my computer any other time. I get through reviews MUCH faster on a computer, and with a hell of a lot less typos

I use PC because I want to do my WK reviews in 60 fps

12 Likes

here :slight_smile: i use pc and phone app

Mouse control is just superior.

1 Like

I literally press “Win + Space” and I’m in the Japanese IME. After learning some basic commands, typing in Japanese on your PC is a breeze.

1 Like