Do you ever purposely mess up your reviews so you can get rid of them?

Taking a long time to complete something is still progress. It’s annoying but it is what it is. If you really are close to burning out, I’d suggest just doing reviews this weekend, no new lessons. The only way to slow the system down is by doing only reviews.

You mentioned not being able to read various kanji in the games you want to play. It’s sort of dumb, but maybe try writing down stuff as you’re playing? (This is really embarrassing to admit but) I keep notes on games as I’ve played them in Japanese, to complain about words and grammar as I haven’t understood them, and to crow about stuff I did understand! It’s kind of cool to look back at the documents later and be all like, “haha silly me didn’t know the kanji 命 back then, but now I do! Take that!” It’s a more physical tab on your progress, which feeds a desire to keep moving forward so you can look back on what you do today and smile at what you didn’t know.
Does that make sense? :upside_down_face: I was drugged earlier and I might still be a bit dopey…

4 Likes

No it makes sense, but the game might be more than I can realistically chew given that it is very text heavy.

1 Like

Are you also studying grammar with other resources? Wanikani doesnt teach alot of important things such as practicals and verb conjugation.
Maybe might need to figure something else out, because I hate to tell you there is no “fast track” learning Japanese. Can take years of studying and longer to really be fluent, especially with video games which can have less common words or sayings that are not taught in textbooks.
Maybe just set on vacation mode and think it over.
Learning Japanese isn’t a fun process, but it is worth it in the end.
Saying “i don’t think i can stomach this for long” is not a good way to view learning a language or learning anything really.

I kinda started some grammar but i did maybe two lessons. the thing is with reviews every hour and trying to do other things during the day, there isn’t a ton of motivation left.

Reviews every hour seem like a lot. Idk I only do 3 times a day, guess it depends idk.

I suggest lingodeer, it’s a neat app that teaches grammar and vocabulary and maybe will boost motivation because it works kinda like a game.

Even though doesn’t seem like you haven’t learned much , you have actually learned a lot.

I’m not the best at motivating people tho but I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you frosty i’ll try that.

Don’t know why vacation mode is even in. Memory doesn’t hold out till you’re back and motivated. Not really helpful in the long run, if you don’t have that many reviews, but the ones you do have, you get wrong.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.