Diary of a mad level 50'er

In addition to not having breaks after 48, the big thing is the build up. The fast levels aren’t so bad for the first week or two. The problem is just the way it piles up over time and keeps piling up more and more.

It’s kind of crazy when I look back at my first post and see an apprentice count of only 167. My apprentice count nearly doubled between level 50 and 56, in the space of just three weeks. Admittedly, the later point was following an especially rough patch and my apprentice count has gone back down a bit since then (but still way higher than when I started).

3 Likes

The fast levels have roughly the same total number of items as the other levels. So if you go at maximum speed you only have 3.5 days to assimilate 100-150 new items instead of doing this in 7 days. Therefore you get more and more apprentice and guru items and so more daily reviews, too.

I have “met” @l_l at level 50 mid-November and I have just leveled up to 55 yesterday, so I am not going quite as fast as @l_l. Nevertheless the number of apprentice and guru items has significantly increased during the last weeks for me, too. Previously I tried to keep A+G below 1000 for most of the time, now I am constantly approaching the 1200 boundary (now 134 A and 1047 G, yet without doing any of the level 55 lessons). I currently have about 250 daily reviews.

4 Likes

Just one more day to go…

Also, with the fifth week complete, the total time for this week was 736 minutes, or an average of only 105 minutes per day. This is mostly due to the anomalously low time on Tuesday - every other day was still pretty high, and in the second half of the week, I struggled quite a bit with leeches.

December 18:
Level: 59
Total time spent on Wanikani today: 106 minutes
Reviews in the last day: 422
Accuracy: 75.12% (317/422)

Current item counts:
Apprentice: 284
Guru: 1599
Master: 1282
Enlightened: 2939
Burned 2587

5 Likes

You are an inspiration!

Where you started, I think I might have given up. You didn’t and you are all but there.

Awesome.

1 Like

make sure to drop the link to your obligatory cake thread you’ll make here xd

Here you go!

4 Likes

A completely unremarkable day today. Not much to talk about. :stuck_out_tongue:

More seriously, now that I’m level 60, I still of course have tons of reviews to do, and still have some lessons to do. However, for the first time I’m taking it easy by not doing all the kanji lessons immediately after leveling up. Instead, I’ll spread them out over the next couple days. Therefore, you can already see a noticeable dip in today’s time due to not going through the massive kanji lesson wall I normally do on Saturdays and Wednesdays.

December 19:
Level: 60
Total time spent on Wanikani today: 135 minutes
Reviews in the last day: 551
Accuracy: 80.40% (443/551)

Current item counts:
Apprentice: 261
Guru: 1624
Master: 1293
Enlightened: 2943
Burned 2602

10 Likes

Congratulation ! :partying_face: :partying_face:

Absolutely amazing run ! Withstanding the fast levels at full speed is an accomplishment in itself, it’s really impressive, bravo ! Cake well-deserved.

Btw If you still have a tiny bit of energy left, I really recommend to try to clear your review every day and push through for just a little more. After reaching level 60 and stopping doing lesson I remember being surprised how fast the pressure dropped. After two weeks I was back to the one hour per day territory, and after a month or two it was less than 30 minutes and not a problem anymore.

Well done.
Will you aim to burn everything?

I haven’t decided yet, but most likely I’ll just go until my current subscription ends (Jan 9th, IIRC) and not renew it. I don’t see much point in continuing to pay just to burn the last few (well ok, more like six thousand) items.

1 Like

i have the same feelings towards the burning process, but i subscribed for lifetime, so there’s no excuse for me, I’ll probably just keep going until there are no longer any items in apprentice and give up entirely
even that is going to take until mid-february at earliest though

there’s still a few useful words at level 48 i’m at right now, I learned 理不尽 and 無闇に today, both of which i consider to be somewhat useful to get accustomed with.

41 days left until the cake for me xd
i’ll make a countdown thread around new year’s

Congratulations! You pulled it off!

I hope to see you at the top of that mountain one day!

3 Likes

Today I played Magic all day, so not much progress on WK.

December 20:
Total time spent on Wanikani today: 106 minutes
Reviews in the last day: 411
Accuracy: 78.59% (323/411)

Current item counts:
Apprentice: 266
Guru: 1621
Master: 1285
Enlightened: 2965
Burned 2610

3 Likes

December 21:
Total time spent on Wanikani today: 111 minutes
Reviews in the last day: 477
Accuracy: 73.38% (350/477)

Current item counts:
Apprentice: 275
Guru: 1630
Master: 1253
Enlightened: 2992
Burned 2621

6 Likes

December 22:
Total time spent on Wanikani today: 105 minutes
Reviews in the last day: 436
Accuracy: 76.15% (332/436)

Current item counts:
Apprentice: 274
Guru: 1628
Master: 1262
Enlightened: 2992
Burned 2639

3 Likes

I had a pretty grueling 47 minutes of reviews this morning. On the bright side, at least I didn’t have half an hour of new kanji lessons on top of that like I had every previous Wednesday morning. I did unlock the final kanji lesson this morning, so three more days until I unlock the final vocab lesson.

December 23:
Total time spent on Wanikani today: 117 minutes
Reviews in the last day: 505
Accuracy: 72.48% (366/505)

Current item counts:
Apprentice: 276
Guru: 1612
Master: 1310
Enlightened: 2964
Burned 2654

4 Likes

I thought review loads would quickly go down after hitting level 60 and slowing the pace of lessons a bit, but for some reason, my Apprentice count has actually been rising for the last several days. Presumably, I’m just failing badly at the reviews. Lately I’ve been failing too many reviews and they’ve piled up a bit. My Apprentice count creeped up to 311 today, though it’s since gone back down to “only” 294

December 24:
Total time spent on Wanikani today: 99 minutes
Reviews in the last day: 441
Accuracy: 73.92% (326/441)

Current item counts:
Apprentice: 294
Guru: 1586
Master: 1325
Enlightened: 2969
Burned 2666

3 Likes

Had a pretty rough day on WK today.

December 25:
Total time spent on Wanikani today: 131 minutes
Reviews in the last day: 507
Accuracy: 77.32% (392/507)

Current item counts:
Apprentice: 284
Guru: 1610
Master: 1306
Enlightened: 2977
Burned 2691

2 Likes

I’m not sure, but I thought even if you cancel your subscription you can still burn everything? I don’t know. But after the free 3 levels run out and you don’t continue to pay, you can continue reviewing those items with the SRS, it just won’t unlock the level 4 lessons for you. I thought that at level 60 if you stop paying, you can keep reviewing just like that (seeing as there is no level 61)? Is what I thought, anyway.

My understanding is that you can’t do reviews or lessons for any level 4+ items if you aren’t subscribed. I guess I could still try to burn anything from levels 1-3 that isn’t already burned.

1 Like