My Wanikani journey of 353 days, or what not to do

I started Wanikani on the night of January 1st. Much has changed since then, but I stuck with Wanikani no matter what, out of pride if nothing else. This afternoon, 353 days later, I reached level 60.

However, unlike most level 60 posts, I want to encourage people not to do what I did.

My story, or a cautionary tale

I started the year knowing nothing about Japanese. A few days after joining Wanikani, I came across the famous Ultimate Guide to WK, and decided that I too would speedrun Wanikani.

I saw the warnings in the guide about how difficult and time consuming it would be to do the fast levels at (nearly) full speed, but I was determined. Itā€™s easy to dismiss the warnings when youā€™re on level 1 and youā€™re waiting around for your one or two radical reviews to come back up. And of course, I fancied myself as unusually intelligent and dedicated.

Itā€™s another thing to live through the burn yourself. Over the course of the year, the review piles got higher and higher. I would have given up dozens of times over if it werenā€™t for my commitment to the promise I made to myself back in January and the idea that taking a break would mean throwing away all my previous hard work and sacrifice.

However, itā€™s at the end with the fast levels where things got really bad. Starting at level 50, I kept track of time spent on Wanikani each day (by writing down start and end times for each session). You can find my complete logs here, but the TLDR is that at the peak, I was averaging over two hours a day on Wanikani. One day took over three hours. And thatā€™s not time spent on the forums or anything - thatā€™s only counting time spent on lessons and reviews.

Are the fast levels worth it?

Just because you can do the fast levels in twice the time doesnā€™t mean you should. When I first started out and was waiting around for a handful of radical reviews, I found WK boring and kept waiting for it to really get started. I knew it would ramp up over time, but my attitude was ā€œbring it on, I can take it, no matter whatā€.

Now Iā€™m on the other side, and I can tell you thatā€™s grueling, really grueling. As my log shows, at the peak I was averaging over two hours a day just doing lessons and reviews on Wanikani. One day took me over three hours!

By the end, Wanikani practically monopolized my leisure time. Long review sessions frequently left me mentally exhausted, and Iā€™d have to break up the morning wall of reviews into four or five sessions just to get through it all.

But thatā€™s just the cost of the fast levels. What is the benefit? Unsurprisingly, the material taught in the later levels of Wanikani is disproportionately obscure. So the least useful levels are also the hardest to speedrun.

What Iā€™d recommend instead is to rush through the early levels as fast as possible, then take it easy.

Is that too vague? Well, the value of the levels decreases slowly, not like a binary cutoff, but if I had to put a number on it, Iā€™d say the first 18 levels are the most useful. Iā€™d recommend rushing up to level 18 as fast as you can, since it will be difficult to read anything without it. I found that even just reading the example sentences in Tae Kimā€™s grammar guide was signficantly easier after I had the early WK levels under my belt.

After that, levels 19-35 are still useful and still contain some words youā€™ll commonly see, they just arenā€™t quite as vital. You should still endeavor to go through these quickly. After that, just go through the remaining levels as you can without sweating it.

In fact, I sometimes felt like I got worse at reading towards the end, because the common words of the early levels were far in the past and thus mostly long forgotten, while my memory was crammed full of obscure kanji that youā€™ll rarely see in practice.

Heck, this morning, when I tried to type one of the words Iā€™d recently learned in order to complain about the mnemonics, I found that the Google IME didnā€™t even offer it as a suggestion. I find it pretty crazy that weā€™re learning words too obscure for even the Google IME.

Caveat: One reason you may want to speedrun is to reduce the cost of WK. My speedrun meant I managed to get through all of WK while spending only $45. However, it takes a lot longer than that for things to really sink in, and the money isnā€™t that much in the long run. In fact, Iā€™m seriously tempted to upgrade to a lifetime membership for an additional $60.

Obligatory stats and screenshots

Hereā€™s the WKstats screenshots that everyone always posts:

Personally, I donā€™t like the way wkstats calculates accuracy, since it gives you half credit even if you miss the reading or meaning, leading to useless inflated numbers. Here are the results from my own accuracy calculator, which gives accurate combined accuracy numbers and also has the advantage of breaking things out by SRS level and type.

radical:
Overall: 95.8% (3970/4146)
Apprentice 1: 98.0% (483/493)
Apprentice 2: 99.8% (485/486)
Apprentice 3: 99.4% (512/515)
Apprentice 4: 99.6% (556/558)
Guru 1: 95.3% (570/598)
Guru 2: 92.2% (555/602)
Master: 91.4% (488/534)
Enlightened: 89.2% (321/360)

kanji:
Overall: 92.4% (15847/17154)
Apprentice 1: 95.2% (2054/2158)
Apprentice 2: 98.6% (2072/2102)
Apprentice 3: 98.0% (2325/2372)
Apprentice 4: 97.4% (2600/2669)
Guru 1: 91.5% (2503/2737)
Guru 2: 85.6% (2109/2465)
Master: 84.3% (1517/1799)
Enlightened: 78.3% (667/852)

vocabulary:
Overall: 80.8% (60668/75066)
Apprentice 1: 77.9% (7144/9173)
Apprentice 2: 90.0% (7921/8798)
Apprentice 3: 87.0% (11111/12764)
Apprentice 4: 86.3% (11594/13431)
Guru 1: 75.6% (9659/12779)
Guru 2: 74.3% (7129/9598)
Master: 72.8% (4493/6174)
Enlightened: 68.8% (1617/2349)

Overall accuracy: 83.520% (80485/96366)
Scripts

Due to not wanting to install any browser extensions, I did not use any userscripts with WK. Notably, I did not use any override or double check scripts. Instead, I was just extra careful when doing the critical level up reviews. Luckily, most levels let you miss a review or two and still level up on time. (There are a couple of the fast levels which are ā€œsudden deathā€).

However, starting around level 6, I did use the browser console to manually reorder lessons when leveling up to put the radicals and kanji first. Thereā€™s no way I could have stayed sane through all this without that. I did not ever reorder reviews - if a load of reviews came in at the same time as my level up reviews, I just gritted my teeth and plowed through, although I also did my best to carefully time when I did reviews to minimize the number of non-levelup reviews that would fall due at the same time as levelup reviews.

Additionally, starting around level 40, I used a customized version of Bish Bash Bosh to do extra practice of the new kanji when I leveled up. Thereā€™s no way I could have possibly made it through the fast levels otherwise. Expecting to look at the kanji once during the lessons and get them perfectly four hours later just doesnā€™t work. You can mostly do it during the slow levels by breaking the kanji up into batches, but when you go through 35 kanji lessons at once, itā€™s simply impossible to remember them all without extra reviews.

How good am I at Japanese?

Over my (almost) year of Japanese study, Iā€™ve dabbled in everything from Lingodeer to Tae Kim to NHK News Easy to Nihongo no Mori. However, by far the most of my time has been spent on three things: Wanikani, watching anime without subtitles, and listening to podcasts in Japanese (I highly recommend learn Japanese with Noriko).

I cared most about developing my listening comprehension skills (because anime), although I also want to be able to read Japanese. Overall, Iā€™d say Iā€™ve made progress, but nowhere near as much as Iā€™d like. Watching anime, I can catch bits and pieces, especially if I already know whatā€™s happening, but a lot less than Iā€™d prefer of course. Reading is still a huge struggle for me.

Iā€™d say completing Wanikani is just the first step. As you can see above, I have a pretty poor accuracy rate on the old burn reviews. Wanikani isnā€™t everything - Iā€™ve forgotten most of what Iā€™ve learned. However, I still think itā€™s useful because it provides a foundation.

Whenever I look up a word in Japanese, 95% of the time itā€™s a word I already learned on Wanikani, so I can go ā€œoh yeah, I remember that nowā€ instead of having to learn it from scratch. And even if itā€™s a word I donā€™t know, 99% of the time Iā€™ve already at least seen the kanji before. Iā€™d be lucky to remember half the kanji on WK, especially given the sheer number of interchangeable shapeless blobs with varying combinations of radicals and meaning (which of the bazillion nurse kanji was that again? Soil? Miss? etc.) but again, I think at least previously being exposed to them makes them easier to (re)learn in the future.

And now for some cake!

Iā€™m not sure how it started, but it seems that all of the level 60 posts talk about cake for some reason. Luckily in my case, the cake is not a lie.

By sheer coincidence, I tried to bake a traditional Japanese Christmas Cake yesterday. For some reason, the sponge cake didnā€™t rise at all, leading to a tough and thin cake, but at least making the whipped cream frosting and decorating it went smoothly, and it was still pretty good.

126 Likes

Congratulations

This is great news, another level 60 user in Wanikani. Even if you have misgivings about speedrunning this is still quite an accomplishment.

By the way, is it just me or the second photograph of the cake looks like a smoked meat sandwich topped with frosting and strawberries? :thinking:

8 Likes

Forgive me if Iā€™m not reading this right, English is a second language for me. So basically, what youā€™re recommending is going full try-hard till 15-18, and then taking it easy and focusing on other resources?

6 Likes

Congrats!!! also that cake with the frosting and strawberries is literally so pretty despite it not rising

7 Likes

Wow 60 already. How time flies.
thumbsup_excited

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story! Thatā€™s what Iā€™m going to do. Iā€™m at level 31 right now, got here (relatively) quick in 10 months, and that gives me enough vocab to read quite comfortably NHK easy articles.

Next year Iā€™m going to focus much more on listening, reading, and speaking - targeting doing one WK level at a more comfortable pace (12-15 days per level maybe?)

6 Likes

Read through this wall of text, and as another person who got too deep into speeding up to slow down, I feel your pain leaking out through the keyboard. Fast levels were a mistake :upside_down_face:

Congrats on the cake, the one from the photo looks very fancy, youā€™ve more than deserved it :sunglasses:
Good craic, hope youā€™ll be able to find some solace now over Christmas holidays :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank You for sharing your journey. Congrats on your achievement. Quite inspirational. Itā€™s great to hear that slowing down halfway, or even one third, through makes more sense. I kind of suspected it but itā€™s good to hear from someone who went through it all to confirm it.

My goals are very much the same like yours, initially, to get comfortable at reading and listening to understand people betterā€¦ Iā€™m focusing to get quickly to level 10, still keep up leveling up fast to somewhere in the 20-30 level range, and then find a comfortable speed given my other life obligations. But after the first 10 levels I want to really ramp up my grammar studiesā€¦

Iā€™m currently following JFZ books with their Youtube videos. Even though they progress a little slower for my taste but for a complete beginner like myself, itā€™s fine, for nowā€¦ Also have Genki 1 that I brought back from Japan when visiting back in February/March earlier this year. I might use Genki later for reviewing, or switch to it, if I really feel like JFZ is too slow. I really like ToKini Andy YouTube channel, too.

Thanks again and godspeed to all on your Nihongo journeys and onto the language #7 for me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Congratulations :crabigator: :cake: :fireworks:

1 Like

Outstanding performance! Congrats!

1 Like

Congrats! This is useful advice for someone who joined 2 days agoā€¦

I previously used Anki to memorize kanji but I find it too time consuming to keep figuring out what order to learn and how much to up the SRS intervals, etc. It worked well to get me through the JLPT N3 in 2019 and I passed, but I havenā€™t studied kanji since and decided to join WK for the accountability and gamification.

Iā€™m obviously just starting out on WK but knowing about 600-1000 kanji (probably 600 really well, and 1000 if I brush up the rusty), Iā€™ve been wondering how to go about WK. I think it sounds really good for ME given your experience starting from no knowledge, to rush to level 18 so now Iā€™ll have that number in mind. After then, I have absolutely no interest in rushing to level 60. I really want mastery over speed. I had been wondering where within the 10-20 level mark I should stop plowing hard, and now I have 18 in mind, so thanks for that!!!

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing your journey with us!

1 Like

congrats and enjoy all the burning!
cake looks good too!

1 Like

Congrats! :tada:

Iā€™m feeling the pain of the fast levels right now. Iā€™ve actually slowed down from averaging 10 days per level to 13 days per level.

And Iā€™ve found that itā€™s not the workload increase, itā€™s the more complicated concepts of the Kanji for these levels. Theyā€™re much harder to keep in mind.

Conversely though, that makes the vocab easier for me.

And at the same time, you start learning more similar looking Kanji with only one radical difference, so you canā€™t rely on the general shape as much as before.

3 Likes

Congratulations! 353 days may be the record (until I finish in February :stuck_out_tongue: ). Iā€™m a bit teriffied of the 50ā€™s after reading your liveblog of it.

1 Like

Congratz! Thats so fast!
I was wondering, other than those mentioned, did you used any more resources for grammar/vocab? And what about Kaniwani/Kamesame?

1 Like

I also tried Bunpro a couple times. Iā€™m planning to start it again next month, when I have more time thanks to finishing WK. I never tried Kaniwani or Kamesame.

2 Likes

Caveat : One reason you may want to speedrun is to reduce the cost of WK. My speedrun meant I managed to get through all of WK while spending only $45. However, it takes a lot longer than that for things to really sink in, and the money isnā€™t that much in the long run. In fact, Iā€™m seriously tempted to upgrade to a lifetime membership for an additional $60.

Wait, how do you get lifetime for only $60 after only paying $45? I see that itā€™s $9 a month and $199 lifetime, and only get credited for ā€œunused monthly amountā€? Cheap-ass here genuinely curious.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

Maybe something other than US dollar?