Dialogue sentence help

Hey people maybe someone could help me with this sentence?

で ね、きょう、せんぱい と なかよく なれた の。

Dialogue between mother and daughter about 1st day on new school. I´m struggling with this の on the end, Is it only some speaking nuance or something else?

の here uses for softening the sentence often use by kids or woman

Summary

Colloquial Question
The sentence-ending particle no said with rising intonation indicates a colloquial question.

For Example:

1. 今日、何するの。(↑)
    Kyō nani suru no?
    “What are you going to do today?”

Softening the Statement
The sentence-ending particle no said with falling intonation softens the statement. Women and children usually use no in this way.

1. 学校に行くの。(↓)
    Gakkō iku no.
    “I’m going to go to school.”

Sentence ending particle - の - Grammar - Miageru

I thought you would be more surpise about でね more than の :thinking:

6 Likes

I believe that when の is placed at the end of a sentence like that, it’s supposed to mark the sentence as an explanation.

1 Like

At first I read this as
Daugther : Today I get along with sepai!! (!! for でね)
But after I think about it. Could it be from mother side as well?
(Since we don’t have the full context here)
Mom : Did you get along with senpai today? (の as Colloquial Question marker)

I’m so sorry @Mr_Flibble I didn’t mean to reply to your comment. I just don’t know how this webboard work lol

1 Like

Yeah, の could also be being used as a question marker here. Hard to tell without the rest of the conversation. And I’m not exactly grammatically competent anyway.

Theres a period which is a pretty good indication that its not the question marker.

In this case its the daughter saying that she got along with her senpai

6 Likes

Oh, I don´t bother with でね, for me it´s like “at least” in this case ^^

I thought でね in here is to show that she’s excited about her first day at school. It’s the other way around huh.

I’m still not so sure about でね usage.

I will put the whole dialogue:

1. おかあさん、ただいま。

2. おかえり。がっこう は どう だった?

3. うん、ちょっと つかれた けど、 よかった。

4. おつかれ。

5. で ね、きょう、せんぱい と なかよく なれた の。

6. そう? どんな ひと?

7. やさしい ひと。 あ、しゅみ も いっしょ なんだ。

8. へえ、そうなんだ。どんな しゅみ?

9. えいが みる こと。

2 Likes

Its hard to translate really, but it doesn’t mean “at least”

Interjections like this don’t always have a nice 1:1, but I would compare it to “By the way” or “So”.

7 Likes

That’s a good hint, but not a guarantee of course. I thought the でね made it pretty clear that it was the daughter speaking though.

3 Likes

Yeah, this is a statement, not a question.

3 Likes

Its a bit more of a nitty gritty topic since either way its apparent its a statement, but honestly I find the period to be much more of a solid indicator.

Oh well the course I´m attending give the “at least” translation and for me it´s fine.

A japanese course told you that でね means at least?

Unless I’m missing something, that is completely incorrect and でね means それでね which I can’t imagine ever translating as “at least”.

What course are you taking?

2 Likes

Oh please I´m not asking an explanation for でね. I create the topic about the の.

While I can’t suggest having the attitude of “I don’t want to have my misunderstandings corrected and learn new things” when it comes to learning japanese, its ultimately your choice anyways.

4 Likes

Do you have any in-depth explanation about でね? Or it’s just one of those naunces that you would understand overtime after a few contexts and usage?

1 Like

If your misunderstanding was interfering with the sentence translation isn’t it relevant?

2 Likes

Its kinda hard to give a concrete definition or explanation since to me at least it feels like something that is really unnecessary to the core meaning of the sentence and applies a bit more nuance. I think the standard definition that is given is just something along the lines of “and so” or “and”. Like you’re kinda presenting more information?

I really feel like I’m bad at explaining this stuff because a lot of it I learned like 4 years ago and don’t remember how it was explained to me and just kinda intuitively know it. I would say in this case that you could think of it like それで+ね and you’ll be fine. There are teeeeechically some cases where で and それで have their differences iirc (someone whos more of a grammar nerd would probably be better suited to dive into that), but for the most part I think you can think of で as a shortened それで for usages like this.

Ex:

それであの後、どうなったの?
So, what happened after that?

で、あの後、どうなったの?
So, what happened after that?

あの後、どうなったの?
What happened after that

So you can see that it doesn’t really change the meaning of the sentence, but I guess in this case it feels more like you’re putting emphasis on the continuation? Idk, you probably can get a feel for it better than I can explain by looking at sentences lmao.

3 Likes