Community forums: Chat box

I think a community chat box/shoutbox/static-visible-thread/etc. on the forums would be a nice addition. Instead of 10,000 reply poll threads(not complaining, just notating), we can have a simple area where people can chat it up, be random, and ask/say things they don’t think deserves a topic of it’s own.

5 Likes

It is called the POLL thread. :slight_smile:

https://community.wanikani.com/t/anything-i-should-know-before-going-pollmium/38103

also that.
I didn’t actually read your comment before I commented. :slight_smile:
But the POLL thread has been serving that purpose for years.

And there didn’t used to be a 10,000 post limit. We were up to like 40,000 on the first one when it got shut down.

8 Likes

It’s called a hot mess, is what it is. lol :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

And there are a few other chatty threads around, that come and go. There used to be a semi-private message thread, that was shut down. And the Mystic Messenger thread has a bunch of people that talk about a shared game, but also random life stuff. The complaining thread always has people discussing their lives. There are a few more but I can’t think of them.

7 Likes

WaniKani uses Discourse (a third-party software) for the forums, so it’s unlikely it would get this kind of customization.

8 Likes

It was? What happened?

Anyway, all the cool kids (I’m not one) in the poll thread have a Discord server they use for what you’re talking about, and seem pretty open to inviting anyone interested. Though I can’t speak for them, of course.

2 Likes

Some inappropriate activities occurred there that mods missed (since people weren’t reading the hidden messages to report them), so they shut it down in the spirit of PMs being disabled in general.

6 Likes

For… for years? You mean weeks, right?
I feel old, all of a sudden.

15 Likes

I’m actually aware of at least three such Discord servers, all made by different generations of poll fams. I do not know if the older ones are still active, though.

8 Likes

There are also discord servers by non-poll people.

4 Likes

Including, but not limited to, the book clubs :smiley:

6 Likes

FTFY :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

The problem with chatbox is that it will be harder to moderate.

yes, but the lack of WK moderators is the main problem with Discord servers…

2 Likes

I have no problem with discord, the problem is, they are all un-official, don’t have the visibility as the forums, and aren’t as active.

I’m not saying to use this one in particular, but there are certainly options.

3 Likes

Yeah, the main reason I don’t do that is kind of that reason, indirectly. How people act when they’re unmoderated and not in “public” is sometimes just a thing I don’t need to know. Plus, I like to talk in whole paragraphs, and the chat format doesn’t really work well for that.

7 Likes

I don’t believe they can use that plugin or probably many others like it. Since they don’t manage the server (it’s hosted and managed by Discourse themselves) there are significant limitations to what plugins they can use.

3 Likes

In addition to what @seanblue said, I think it comes down to moderation. There’s a small team behind WK and management of a chatbox that’s formally associated with this site would require constant moderation, which just isn’t realistic. And the team has said they don’t want an official Discord because again, that formal status would require their moderation. Chats like that are far more likely to host inappropriate content and harm the site or company due to its direct association.

6 Likes

And old discord servers by pre-poll people. o:
Apparently there was at least one before my “WK generation” that got pretty big but had a lot of drama and fighting…? ooo:
(just rumors)

7 Likes

This is why WK doesn’t condone spreading invites to Discord servers on the forums, because stuff happened on a third party server and they had to step in

9 Likes

Yeah. This is another disadvantage of chat. On forum you always have time to think your message through. If you don’t know how to reply to some message the best way, you can always bookmark it and write the response later and quote it.
On chats there is no quoting…
Also, chats usually don’t have POLLs (there are ways to sort of make a poll in some chats, but that’s not the same as polling in the POLLs thread)

7 Likes