Comment here if you want WaniKani to add 5 more levels with the remaining Joyo kanji

Precisely this. Also, many of said kanji are not even 常用 (or 人名, for that matter) to begin with, but old kanji from before the orthography reform which one would have to learn either way at some point.

WaniKani does teach a lot, but it’s just the beginning :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a final controversial thought and summary of what I said, based on a personal theory about how our brains process meaning in our native languages (I came up with it when I was trying to speed-run to native level in French): if you can push a new word/kanji to the level where you feel, viscerally and instinctively, what it means when you see it, hear it or use it, and symbols (kanji, kana, letters etc), pronunciations and meaning automatically summon each other in your mind, you’ll never need to refer to an external mnemonic for that word again. I see no other explanation for why we can understand words without thinking in our native languages, or why we’re so rapidly hurt when someone insults us in our mother tongues.

As such, even if this sounds like some mystic rubbish, the short version of my advice is this: aim to make whatever you use for learning as intuitive and vivid as possible while linking it to everything you need to know about each kanji/word. Also link it to what you already know, if you can. If you reach the point where every kanji is an emotional experience that flashes through your mind in an instant, you won’t need to keep revising mnemonics over long periods. Instead, you’ll relive every kanji every time you see it.

14 Likes

There’s a reason you don’t usually see these kinds of posts from anyone who’s gotten to 60. :wink:

9 Likes

I think there was a similar discussion before (my times) when the max level was 50, right? People also wanted more levels which eventually happened, but then a couple of users in their 50s elaborated that levels above 50 aren’t as useful.

Since I started reading I wouldn’t necessarily agree, because I do see some kanji or vocab from levels 50+, but I’m already learning those from books, so anything way above 40 feels like overkill.

4 Likes

Yeah and even with all the changes they’ve been doing the last 10 levels still seem noticeably tacked on.

That’s probably the main advantage of WK is that it gives you a big enough corpus to make those links meaningful within a relatively short period of time.

There are some really good arguments that this happens around level 30-40 once you’ve learned a good number of Kanji.

My above post was a little terse, so to elaborate on that a bit. Most stats I’ve seen show that only around 1% of people on WK make it to level 60.

That’s the audience you have to convince and that same audience isn’t really interested in continuing WK past that, mainly because of diminishing returns.

And even then, there are Kitsun.io decks like the Wanikani Lost Levels 61-70 deck that you can move to.

19 Likes

It will be better if people could add their own kanji… People in different fields of study, or with different interests would like to learn different kanji. Having WK instead of an Anki deck would be better.

7 Likes

I agree. However with custom WaniKani scripts this isn’t neccessary. We have things like [Web] WaniKani Custom - The WaniKani SRS system but with your custom words and vocabulary for that! And if you don’t like that, just add whatever you need to Anki? You can even set up it up to have similar pacing to wanikani.

5 Likes

I am against the idea tbh.
I am already getting punished by new kanji additions (there are nice but considering my slow progress. It makes me even slower)

1 Like

Now I wanna make a post like this just to spite you :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

Thanks for the info I did not know about WaniKani Custom but I would find more convenient to have all my reviews in a single website.

1 Like

Yep - and this one, which is free:

7 Likes

I like this idea better. I think not having all the Joyo is an arbitrary choice while adding the last few would make WK feel like a more complete tool/resource.

6 Likes

Because the joyo kanji are not an arbitrary choice in the first place ?

Until 2010 the joyo list didn’t even have kanji found in utterly basic words like
bath お風呂 pillow 枕, knee 膝 , pot 鍋, chopstick 箸, smell 匂い, who (誰) or I (俺)… Why should we give any credibility to it? Even nowadays there are still ridiculously basic word like candy (飴), happy (嬉れしい) or lie (嘘) that are not in it.

飴, 嬉 and 嘘 are in WK, but there is still plenty of common non-joyou kanji that are not in WK yet. Like just adding stuff like 繋 騙 蘇 揃 頷 辿 溜 眩 叶 would be probably more useful than all the remaining joyo left.

11 Likes

If there was one I’d bet it was you. :wink::joy:

2 Likes

“Learn kanji with Wanikani” “Learn the Joyo kanji and more with Wanikani”

While the Joyo list itself is fairly arbitrary, it is an established and official list of kanji made by the Ministry of Education. Right now, it’s pretty weak marketing to just say “learn kanji.” Having the joyo kanji means that WK could legitimately market itself as having the entire government made list for adult literacy.

No reason not to add those too. People can still “graduate” from WK whenever they feel like it.

6 Likes

For those interested, I also recently added a Kanji Writing Deck which contains the Lost Level kanji except it is for productive writing only based on both meaning/reading (mnemonics are in LL deck only). There is a tag for the remaining kanji as well as by N level (also link for WK filter if preferred).

6 Likes

So. I used to be of the, “If you’re that far along, just make an Anki deck for the rest. You should be able to figure things out for yourself at that point” camp.

But here’s the thing: Anki doesn’t work like Wanikani does.

Wanikani has a very unique type of SRS. And it goes beyond its intervals and Apprentice/Guru/Etc system. It has a gated system that prevents you from going too far without conquering what you’ve learned so far to an acceptable level.

I think that system works particularly well for learning kanji. And while you can more or less replicate it with other SRS tools, it’s far from perfect, and it requires a good amount of executive function to pull off.

I personally would love it if there was a Wanikani-style way to continue learning after 60. I’ve kind of put some thought into perhaps building something myself–like a website that copies Wanikani’s style for the remaining levels.

The problem with that for me (and for whoever else were to attempt making something like that) is that since it would have to be based on Wanikani’s foundation, I think monetizing it would be at best a legal grey area, and if it isn’t possible to monetize it then it is difficult to justify both the effort to make it and the continuing costs of servers and the like.

8 Likes

I’d also like to point out that WK is by no means complete, even regarding the kanji it currently contains. There are plenty of readings that WK just skips, so it’s not as if by reaching level 60 you’re close to being done studying the Joyou kanji.

5 Likes

There is a resource somewhat like this for specific books/novels, but of course I can’t remember the name well enough to search it rn >.< There’s no upper limit on what you can study, but it’s nice for previewing the vocab in bodies of work imo

1 Like

Agree 100%. The cut-off is very arbitrary. There are plenty of useful things that can be added. And the reason to use Wanikani is not the mnemonics, but the SRS system with custom add-ons that make studying effortless.

5 Likes