Combining Anki note types - Does anyone know how to do it?

I am currently using a quite simple note type for Anki from a deck called Japanese- Core with an add on called Japanese Support, what it does is:

• After you type in a word or phrase into the Expression field and hit tab, Anki will automatically generate furigana for you.

This is very convenient and I would like to keep that note type, but after trying to copy sound files into that notes manually I found another add on called Migaku,
and it automatically embeds audio files from a database you can download.

Now I tried unsuccessfully to convert the previous cards into the new note type but I loose the Furigana while doing so - and in the other way around I loose the sound.

I am not really able to program anything so far (other than changing the background color and deleting the logo) but if it is not too complicated I would like to give it a try because it would save a lot of time.

Thank you.

I don’t use Migaku so I don’t know how the audio thing works with that, or what the cards look like, but in theory this should be doable.

I don’t really understand what you mean by “lose the furigana” -
Do you mean that the furigana info on your existing cards gets deleted when you try to convert them, or that you can’t autogenerate furigana on any new cards? Or both?

For existing cards:
I’m assuming what you’re doing is select cards → change note type, correct? As long as you match your old reading/furigana field to the new one (if there isn’t one, you can add one to your new note type) that shouldn’t be a problem.

You will also still be able to let the furigana be autogenerated on new cards as long as your new note type has a field for the expression and one for the reading, and the names of those fields are the ones that are specified in the “Japanese Support” settings. (maybe check Add-ons → Japanese Support → config to make sure that’s the case?)

If you’re still having trouble, can you maybe post a few screenshots of your note types/fields/whatever else might help? It’s a little hard to trouble shoot without knowing what everything looks like on your end :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Warning: Always make a back-up copy of your deck before making big changes!

I haven’t tried doing this, so I cannot guarantee that it will work. But I think you should be able to accomplish adding furigana back in the following way:

1. Converting your cards to the Migaku note type you want (such as Vocabulary or Sentence).

2. Open the browse window.

3. Select the cards you want to add furigana to.

4. From the Edit menu, select “Generate Readings/Accents/Audio”.

5. On this window, select the field you want to add furigana to in the “Origin” dropdown. You can only choose one at a time, but you’ll probably want to do this for Sentence, maybe Target Word, and possibly Definitions.

6. Important: Select the same field for Destination.

7. I think it’s fine to leave everything checked, as it won’t add audio to a non-audio field, etc. But if you want to be certain, uncheck anything you don’t want to add to the field.

8. I’d change the “Overwrite” field to “Overwrite” just in case that might impact anything for this usage.

9. Finally, select “Execute”.

Also, any cards created using Migaku’s card creation tool get furigana right from the start. It can be configured whether a field always shows furigana, never shows it, or shows it on mouse hover.

1 Like

Thank you for your help!
I was not really sure what I wanted to do exactly so it was a bit difficult to ask something useful.

I fixed it, in the end it was quite easy,
I just made an additional field called Word Audio in my old note type and added this

div class=“migaku-word-audio”>{{Word Audio}}</div

to the front side of the card.

Ha, you mean I should have saved a copy of the note type before I change the coding without knowing what I am doing???

Thank you for your help, in the end I added the sound to my old notes because it has a simpler layout.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.