Can someone give me the literal meaning of this phrase

勝る もの は ない

its a phrase in a song that was originally in English
and im having trouble with meaning

i have it as
to exceed things not being

any thoughts?

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I guess a literal translation would be “something that surpasses (勝るもの) doesn’t exist (はない).” Though a more natural translation of a sentence like 「Xに勝るものはない」 would likely be something like “you can’t beat x” or “there’s nothing like x.”

Yeah I’m with crayfish. “There’s nothing better” is what my guess would be.

thanks. the orginal english was “nothing compares to this”. so looks like u guys nailed it. is there a better dictionary than jisho?

Jisho isn’t to blame for your original translation, I think you need to study grammar more.

EDIT: that’s not to say there aren’t better dictionaries, Jisho is just another free dictionary that uses the same database most free ones use. But I see nothing there that would prevent the correct interpretation.

do you have any grammer suggestions i have the genki books but they are boring. keeping up with kaniwani and wanikani together is tough already
so the last thing i want to do is stick my head in a book at 11pm

You will have to find a way to study grammar that works for you. Genki is popular, and I think is one of the most “fun” textbooks. You could self study with Imabi or Tae Kim online, or join a class… Nihongonomori Youtube also is a resource, but I don’t know if they have beginners’ stuff. If you can pay, Textfugu is worth a look, see if its still around. (There is a successor in development)
If you don’t learn grammar you won’t ever be able to use the vocab you are trying to hard to learn! So keep it balanced! :slight_smile:

Nihongonomori does have a beginner’s grammar series, presented in English. I’m not sure if it takes you all the way up to their all-Japanese content though.

thanks for the suggestions. i do like the pay ones because im more motivated when my money is involved