Can someone explain this to me

I am reading a visual novel right now and from my understanding this sentence means
“when I arrive at hajima house I always ring the bell” but when I translate it into web translator apps like Google It give me this meaning

“When I arrive at Hajime’s house, I enter without ringing the chime, just as I always do.”

始の家に着くと、いつもの同じように、チャイムを鳴らさず入っていく

i dont see any な or ない in this sentence so a hope somene can explain it to me

1 Like

The ず Form - Easy Japanese Grammar

9 Likes

thank you i only have a basic grammar understanding and this is the first time that I learn about ず form

ありがとう先生

but is there a certain rule on how to use it (casual or formal )

1 Like

~ず from Imabi

I remember it as ~ないで, and typically used in poetic phrases.

2 Likes

It’s one of those forms where you’ll hear that it’s archaic and not really used anymore, but it crops up from time to time. Afaik it’s not in any shape or form different to the nai form.

4 Likes

Yup, here it is, an old lady in Hunter X Hunter

Thanks for asking OP, this was something I didn’t know that I didn’t know either!

3 Likes

I would say ‘not really used’ is a bit too far. There are set phrases where it occurs even in casual speech. From the imabi page:

~ず is a Classical Japanese auxiliary verb that is still infrequently used in Modern Japanese. Its use in Modern Japanese is old-fashioned, but it is often used within sentences for poetic effects. ~ず is also in a several grammatical structures and set phrases. Set phrases, after all, is where you can expect to find archaisms in any language. Given its archaic status, it is mainly seen in 書き言葉.

3 Likes

It does get used, even outside of set phrases and such, just in general it happens sometimes. That’s why I don’t think it’s “archaic” at all, just rare. It’s kinda like saying that “whom” is an archaic word, because it feels incredibly old and doesn’t get used much.

1 Like

Ah, sorry, completely misread your earlier post thinking you thought it was archaic :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

The movie I watched the other day, they call their band 役立たず

2 Likes

I wonder if this specific example might be veering close to that; I asked the n-gram corpus count server and it said:

word count percentage
チャイムを鳴らさず 251 70.3%
チャイムを鳴らさないで 106 29.7%

though the hit counts are low enough I wouldn’t put too much weight on it, and clearly the ないで version is still fine. But it lines up with how this turned up in something that’s less formal than you might expect to see ~ず in. I think 知らず(に) is also more common than other ~ず.

2 Likes

that’s a set phrase, a noun that just describes a useless person

1 Like

Common phrase but it’s pretty literal, so if you know the grammar and vocab then you know it. In the case of a band name, the translation choice was “The Useless” and band wrote it as やくたたズ

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.