Can someone break down this sentence for me please?

Can someone break down this sentence for me please?質問のある方はいらっしゃいませんか。
Do you have any questions?

What does the いらっしゃいませんか mean?

I got it from this website

いる/来る/行く => いらっしゃる

ある doesn’t appear to be listed as a meaning

Because a question is not a living thing should’t ある
be listed in order for the sentence to make sense?

Thanks

• 方 is a polite way to refer to people, so 質問のある modifies 方 and we get → 質問のある方 = “person who has a question”
  • は = marking the topic (質問のある方)
  • いらっしゃる here = polite form of いる, which is “to be/to exist” for animate objects (i.e. people, in this case 方)
4 Likes

I tried to beat @MissMisc and rushed my answer. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve learned my lesson that one can’t simply beat @MissMisc :ok_hand:

3 Likes

“Do you have any questions?”

But the way you explained it makes it seem like the translation should be. ‘are there any question having people?’

Thanks

Yes this is the direct translation into English, but sentences are usually translated to sound more natural which is why the site provides the “Do you have any questions?” translation, which also falls in line with the intent of the Japanese text

it seems a bit too ambiguous tho. because the translation the website gives seems like it it’s direct at a single person? also when I looked up 方 it can also be translated as you in some contexts. and going by the translation of that site it kind of seems like it means it as in the sense of ‘you’

I prefer “Does anyone have any questions?”

1 Like

That’s how I read it but after reading the translation on the site, I was a bit thrown

Well “Do you have any questions?” could be a person addressing a group I guess. Same meaning in that case.

Well, technically speaking, “you” can be singular or plural (same for 方), so it may seem ambiguous, but context can help make it clearer – but since this is an isolated sentence with no context, it can seem odd

1 Like

I see Thanks

1 Like

com-resize%20(1)

:purple_heart:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.