Best tool to review early levels WITHOUT resetting?

I’ve been distracted from WaniKani for over a year. Of course there are lots of reviews waiting for me and I can work through them. The problem is that I don’t believe most of the “burned” kanji have…actually been burned for me. I don’t want to completely reset my progress, but I would like to review the earlier levels to refresh those circuits in my brain. What’s the best tool for this? I’ve installed the “self-study quiz” add-on, but is there a better way of doing this (in your opinion?)

Thanks!

I see that you’ve already tried the Self Study quiz; I think it might be the best thing to use if you’re browser based though. Is there anything you’re finding with it that doesn’t do what you expect? As understand it, it should be flexible enough to do any level you want or burned items.

I think the Flaming Durtles phone app is the best IMO

Did you see this?

Edit: you keep sniping all of my posts… :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha, sorrrrryyy…

I did made the edit very fast though, haha

1 Like

Real talk, I love how helpful this community is. You folks are the greatest!

1 Like

I see that you’ve already tried the Self Study quiz; I think it might be the best thing to use if you’re browser based though. Is there anything you’re finding with it that doesn’t do what you expect?

Nope, it seems fine! I just fine that whenever I come back to WaniKani I inevitably discover I’m using some plugin that was last year’s news and everyone is using something that’s much better, so this was me trying to get ahead of that cycle and find out if I managed to stumble onto the correct add-on for once.

I am about 75% browser based and 25% iPhone/iPad. I’m willing to make my “review the already-burned items” study habits browser-only or iPad-only if the options there are better.

There is a specific Burn Review add-on, though I don’t think it will make much of a difference (not because its ineffective, in fact I think what you’ve already got going will probably be good, but because I just don’t know what it does that the add-on you already have doesn’t already do).

I spent years going through and restarting N5 and N4 vocab lists on memrise. Usually I just brute-forced my way through hundreds of reviews on the daily while using other N5/N4 study/reading material to reinforce them. Once those had a very high recall rate I would try to move on to an N3 list, but that one was always the biggest struggle. My real breakthrough both for vocab and Japanese in general was with Tobira. I think the most important take away is to keep grinding away, and slowly let your study method develop. Those early levels simply will not be finalized in your brain with SRS, they will be finalized once you start reading a whole ton, which can take a seemingly discouraging long time to reach, but you’ll get there.

1 Like

Ah, I get you - not a bad instinct, there are plenty of talented scripters in the community ^-^

That said, I think @rfindley keeps the Self Study quiz pretty well updated, so it should still be as good as it ever was :slight_smile:

I’m about the same mostly browser, some iPad. If I want to use addon scripts, I often just find myself remote desktoping to my PC from my iPad, so get that full browser experience, haha. Android do seem to get the better slice when it comes to that stuff, unfortunately, just due to the flexibility of Android when it comes to allowing custom scripts.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.