(Back up) Floflo.moe - A WK-friendly website for reading

I love this idea. I can’t wait for more books to be added! (And for my knowledge to expand so I can read what’s there now 笑)

2 Likes

Nope :upside_down_face: SRS has never worked for me since WK.

1 Like

We’re all in the same boat when we read our first book: doesn’t matter how much you prepare beforehand, you’re still going to get absolutely annihilated.
Start whenever you want to, just make sure that you choose your first book based on difficulty and not taste, that’s my only advice.

3 Likes

Yeah I know it, but the average user will be very confused. The user has no mental model of the data as rows.

1 Like

I’ve got two questions:

1. Will Flo*Flo be getting an icon? It’s the only tab I have open all the time now that gets an ugly, generic grayscale globe (I think?):

2. Is there a chance we could get a “Lessons Done Today” counter somewhere? I’m trying not to add more than 25-30 words per day (I think I’ll ease back to 20 after a while), but I have a hard time remembering how much I added when, and I don’t want to accidentally bite off more than I can chew :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It makes me feel better knowing other people struggle with their first book. I’ve tried reading simple manga and it’s still very, very difficult for me, which lead me to giving up because I assumed I wasn’t ready. Is reading one of those things where you just have to really get it?

2 Likes

I’ve been having this problem for a while now and it’s a bit frustrating.

Any time I change something about a word’s info during a review, it never retains it after the review session is done. For instance, if I add to 整理整頓’s definition something like “Neat and tidy” during its review, on the next review it will forget it and mark me wrong if I write that answer.

Or another example, I added the custom phrase 一言で言うと but when I made it I accidentally forgot to type the で for the reading. Now every time I correctly type in "ひとこというと” it marks it as wrong, and despite me going in and manually correcting it on the word’s info page repeatedly, it never remembers and continues to mark me as wrong on subsequent reviews.

1 Like

You just go at it until it works. I remember that when I read my first novel (skipped manga) I would read about 3 pages in an hour and by the end of that I’d feel like my brain had melted. But by the end of that book my speed nearly doubled. The initial grind kind of sucks but you’ll get there in the end.

Manga is unique because it has a lot of contractions and stuff so make sure that you just get someone who’s higher level than you to help you with basic comprehension. There’s a short grammar questions thread as well as books clubs for that.

3 Likes

This month’s books are out:

• Kusuriya no Hitorigoto
  • Shika no Ou
  • Koguma no Kuuku Monogatari
  • Kokoro
  • Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku @seanblue
  • Kami-sama no Memochou

Anime:

• Sailor Moon Crystal
  • Yuru Yuri

The book list is locally cached and expires after three hours. If you want to use a book but don’t see it, just go to the alchemizer.

12 Likes

You’re the best @Raionus! :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your replies! I actually started reading some manga last night and just trudged my way through. It helps a lot to know that this might just be how it is for a while and that I’m not the only one who’s felt this way. I’ve seen the book clubs around but never actually committed to one, but I can see how that would be really useful! I’m going to look into that. :smile:

2 Likes

Dayum now you got 人間失格 and こころ on there? These are two of my must reads, but I haven’t got the slightest clue of how hard they will be. Something tells me the word count wont be a good indicator.

3 Likes

Hmm I don’t know about that. Modern writers value brevity. Can’t say the same about old ones though.
Kokoro (in English) was a really simple read - like, surprisingly simple. The Japanese version won’t be pulling punches on the grammar but if you can read 7k books I think you can make it through that

3 Likes

I read kokoro a few weeks ago. As @Raionus said, it’s fairly straightforward. Only issue, I would say, is vocab, with stuff like 一対 波瀾 憚る and what not. Also, 二人 meaning “we”. But that’s nothing with the help of floflo.

3 Likes

Well that’s reassuring. I was imagining that it would be a harder than another book of the same word count and density due to use of unfamiliar grammar and writing style.

2 Likes

ワニカニへ:内容があるよ

Uh probably to both of those.

I’m on vacation right now (Kyoto atm) so I’m not working on anything nonessential for like 10 days.

So, uhm, I just now became a patron to try the alchemizer. However, every time I try the “Unlock with Patreon” button and push “Allow”, I end up being redirected to the same permissions page on floflo.moe…

Try accessing the alchemizer again - it should work now. I’ve put up a temporary solution until I get back to my home country and can talk to Patreon about the issue.

1 Like

How are you enjoying it, by the way? If you get the chance, I would recommend taking a day trip to nara too. I did that last time I was there and it was hella fun.

Unless you dont like deer.

Then it will be hella unfun.

3 Likes