At which levels did you slow down?

That’s the kind of transition I’m experiencing now, I think. The workload is a little heavy, and my apprentice items are high because I learned all the (many) radicals, and I still have leftovers vocabulary from the previous level to learn. … but there are also some leeches that have been bouncing between guru-apprentice-master-guru-apprentice and I’m wanting to sort that all out a little… and hopefully get that all handled.

2 Likes

there is no such thing as level 10 confirmed

also i’m the first person to vote for 15 hnnnn

6 Likes

hah! completely mixed up on the Level 10 part while editing down (after having more than 20 options)

2 Likes

Ah, this is why I like @Saida-さん, so helpful and nice to all!

Oh hai @theMusicalninja, I voted 15 too!

Way to go!

:laughing:

Go get 'em PollXVISecurityOfficer Z! :policeman:

6 Likes

A funny thing about this thread is that even though I felt like I was slowing down, Level 11 ended up being at my average pace.

I have a lot more daily reviews, though, and I’m a bit concerned about the amount of Guru items, but the good news is that my Master and Enlightened levels are also continuing to grow. Those two are my clearest benchmarks for now.

1 Like

hah! I just added a vote for Level 17!

I’ve hit a minor wall here (it feels bigger than it is). The reason? I just moved to Japan about a week ago, and I’ve had to put it on vacation mode for my flight, jet lag, overload, unsettled home (will move in a week), practical Japanese needs and learning (getting to know how to use public transit is more important than remembering certain kanji, at moment).

The good news is that what I’ve already learned has definitely helped me already, and I recognize at least parts of plenty of signs around town.

But yeah, this level is going slow and there’s no end in sight, haha. I’m just focusing on finding some sort of internal balance again, and until that happens I’ll just do what is possible.

2 Likes

I try to be consistent at about 8 days per level, but things have come up that extended my time in specific levels.

Level 3: Getting used to Wanikani
Level 4: Deciding whether Wanikani was worth paying for
Level 14: Midterms
Level 17: Finals

3 Likes

For the first 6 levels, I was going at about the maximum speed, but I started slowing down at level 7. However, 25-30 were the levels that took the longest, the shortest being level 25 with 18 days 7 hours and the longest being level 29 with 26 days 14 hours.
But at level 38, I started taking about a week per level again. However, I started slowing down at level 59 again and the level took 12 hours 2 hours. I’ve been on level 60 for 2 days but I still haven’t done a single lesson for the level so it’ll probably take a while.

3 Likes

Poll results look promising. I haven’t slowed down, and at lvl 23 seems like there is a 6% or lower chance for those that keep going.

This is encouraging.

1 Like

I joined a musical. I can’t speed level while rehearsing. I’ve been stuck on level 19 for a month. This does not bode well for my kanji goals… (or my dream of finishing within one year). Oh well, it was my decision.

1 Like

rushed to 24, took a year off.
reset to 20 and rushed to 31, took a year off.
reset to 12, now slowly working to get back in the groove. not in a hurry this time around.

3 Likes

Added a vote for Level 20.

Level 19 was back to my quicker pace, but for some reason 20 added about 4 or 5 days extra. But the good news is that the average number of my Apprentice Level items has been reduced, and my burns are starting to kick in more regularly and consistently.

Level 21, which I’m on now (the message board shows my level at 20 still) has been generally back at the normal pace thus far, but I’ve been pushing myself less the last few days and have been taking it slow but steady.

I’m wondering if it’ll be like this for a while: quicker/slower/quicker/slower…

Level 42, How come, dude?

Aforementioned musical was canceled for coronavirus before even our first performance. All that work… all those kanji that didn’t get learned… why???

1 Like

suppose you can catch up now? And sing kanji songs to go along with your learning?

I let all my reviews build up like a fool and it’s taking me an age to get through level 9 now because of it. I’ve got them below 500 today which is progress.

1 Like

The poll is meaningless unless you factor in their current level.
I’m proud to never have slowed down during levels 20-60.

3 Likes

i had a similar thing happen recently when i racked up 500+ reviews, and a lot of them were (failed) burn reviews. to get through that i changed my review habits to force myself to review quickly. did 477 reviews in a single day a couple of weekends ago.

beforehand if there was something i didn’t know, i might stop to rack my brains for a good ten seconds or so (stressful having to that it a lot!). now if it doesn’t come to me within five seconds, i accept i don’t know it, fail gracefully and go on to the next item. my review scores have dropped like a stone but if stuff refuses to stick, an extra trip to Apprentice is no bad thing :slight_smile:

good luck clearing your backlog!

2 Likes

It’s a little painful seeing just how long my extended hiatus was… Trying to imagine just how much better my reading comprehension could be if I didn’t take off 3 years. I got really busy with work, depression hit, and seeing the reviews just keep piling on at the same time was demotivating me more and more, since I just couldn’t keep up. I just didn’t have the energy.

Well, I switched jobs. And also got more time to study again. And as my Japanese grammar improved, so did my motivation. Happily past N2 now, and it’s always nice when wanikani gives me an N1 kanji that I haven’t hit in my textbooks yet :stuck_out_tongue:

So I guess my answer is level 12. Took me 3 years :stuck_out_tongue: Am glad I sprung for a lifetime subscription from the very start, since it’s definitely paid off by now haha

(You can see there’s been some periods where my motivation dropped in between, but never as drastically… as for the one at the beginning? I was discouraged by how basic and slow the start was, haha, it took some convincing from a friend several months later to give wanikani a proper go)

1 Like

But I can’t catch up! WaniKani has a set maximum leveling speed! I can only continue… and know I will inevitability be two months behind when I wanted to finish… forever!