Aquatic Life Appreciation Thread 🐳 🐠 🐙

it’s fundamental research, isn’t that dear to you?

the objective was to determine whether or not other animals are able to navigate their environment. this trait is supposedly quite human.

this is fish but basically animals in general will learn to pilot a ship pretty quickly.

i think it’s amazing.

the problem is every time i see something cool about animals i wanna go back to being vegetarian because the guilt hits me like a brick. not that i eat a lot of animals but still. look at that smart goldfish!

3 Likes

ezgif-5-3070065975

Pilot fish are amazing!

Japanese name: 鰤擬 ぶりもどき

4 Likes

Parrot fish are not named after their colorful appearance, at least not primarily, but rather their beak-like teeth; parrotfish have teeth that are tightly packed together to form a coral-crushing bite. While what they eat is really the algae on coral or rock, they can do quite a lot of damage on coral reefs. They poop out the undigested coral and rock as sand. Fun fact: they also like to sleep enveloped in mucus that they create, like a slime force field? :joy:

More info: Parrotfish Facts That Will Make Them Your New Favorite Animal

Short clip with Attenborough about Green humphead parrotfish

Stoplight parrotfish

Bullethead parrotfish ハゲブダイ

Yellowbar parrotfish

Bucktooth parrotfish

Bluelip parrotfish

6 Likes

TIL that those beautiful white tropical beaches are actually just parrotfish poop :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

Yeah! Then again…all those beautiful grasslands etc is just grass on earthworm poop as well. it’s all poop! :joy:

3 Likes

If you go back far enough, literally everything is star poop. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

if (u.goBack(farEnough)) {
    return :star: :poop:;
}

3 Likes

Fascinating short clip from National Geographic about bioluminescence in sharks!

4 Likes

More fishies! I’m now looking up stuff about butterflyfish because I find them beautiful and serene! :butterfly: :tropical_fish: They are quite similar to smaller angelfish.

Sunburst butterflyfish ミゾレチョウチョウウオ

Copperband butterflyfish ハシナガチョウチョウウオ

Bluecheek butterflyfish ゴールデンバタフライフィッシュ

Orange face butterflyfish

Threadfin butterflyfish 棘蝶々魚 とげちょうちょううお

Pearlscale butterflyfish アミメチョウチョウウオ

Bannerfish or False moorish idol ムレハタタテダイ

And finally, completely unrelated to other butterfly fishies, is the African butterflyfish, a freshwater fish. バタフライフィッシュ

6 Likes

I love the African Butterflyfish’s fins :astonished:

1 Like