Aquatic Life Appreciation Thread 🐳 🐠 🐙

Apparently they’re called Velella カツオノカンムリ

Honestly, if I saw these I’d be scared they were Portugese Man o War, which can be deadly for humans. :grimacing: Sure there are differences, but I’ve never seen either of them in the wild, so…

7 Likes

velella is such a charming name!

3 Likes

I found another lovely documentary about the wildlife in and around a beaver pond in New England. :slight_smile: :beaver: :bird:

Beaver: ビーバー

2 Likes

I just love this guy’s YT channel. I’ve posted some stuff from it before. In this one, he names loads of kelp and edible seaweeds to look out for, and tips for when to forage for them. He also shows signs to keep an eye for when foraging for crabs and lobsters.

3 Likes

This series about a beaver pond throughout the seasons is just amazing. I had just watched a bit of it when posting, but now I’m still watching and learning tons about the various creatures that makes their home around a beaver pond, fish, insects, birds, rodents, predators. It’s really an amazing series! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Well, I was also about to post this interesting article about flying fish with a video clip with Attenborough if you scroll down. Really cool creatures, but they seems to have trouble surviving both in and out of the water. ^^;

2 Likes

Documentary about the watery habitat of mangroves. :crocodile: :monkey: :raccoon: :boar: :lizard: :snake: :turtle: :frog: :parrot:

4 Likes

They posted the final part of the beaver pond series and I must say that this is an amazing documentary series. :astonished: Super-indepth. So much gorgeous images and views. I’ve learned tons about the ecology of these temporary lakes, about the animals frequenting it, about their impact on the surrounding area. Best documentary series ever really.

3 Likes

7 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes

Time for some jellyfish pics! ^>^

Crown Jellyfish 冠水母類 かんむりくらげるい

Immortal Jellyfish 紅海月 べにくらげ

This amazing creature can potentially literally live forever! :astonished: Basically, it can reverse it’s development from a polyp on the ocean floor into its adult medusa form (the life-cycle that all jellyfish goes through), going back to the polyp stage attached to the bottom if injured, the water gets too cold or it’s starving - only to go back to its medusa form once more when the coast is clear. This makes the immortal jellyfish the longest living species on earth! Source: Science of the immortal jellyfish, Earth's longest living animal | BBC Science Focus Magazine pretty cool for a blob of jelly!

Comb jellyfish 櫛水母 くしくらげ All kinds of comb jellies are stunning creatures really! :rainbow:

giphy

Habu Jellyfish 波布水母 はぶくらげ - this one is extremely poisonous, and can be found in the waters of Okinawa! :fearful:

Habu Jelly and Irukadandji jelly, below are "box jelly fishes" 箱水母 はこくらげ known for being very poisonous.

Irukandji jellyfish イルカンジクラゲ Also with a deadly poison!

Spotted Lagoon Jelly 蛸水母 たこくらげ :octopus:
images-uploads-23_Spotted_Lagoon_Jelly_-_Robin_Riggs_600_q85

9 Likes

inspired the french series ad vitam

too bad the interesting premise for it did not get as good writing as it deserved. still quite thought provoking…

4 Likes

Time for another look at some tropical shrimp!

Emperor shrimp ウミウシカクレエビ- likes to hitch a ride on sea cucumbers and nudibranchs.

Peacock Mantis shrimp モンハナシャコ

Magnificent shrimp

Spearing mantis shrimp

Squat shrimp, “sexy shrimp” イソギンチャクモエビ

Mantis shrimp vs Octopus! Those front legs pack a punch! :boxing_glove:
peacock-mantis-shrimp-vs-octopus

5 Likes

Another fabulous video by Nick Hope (Bubblevision). I somehow missed that he had made this short vid with different footage from the longer ones I’ve posted in the thread. No talking, just great footage and name inserts of the species we see! ^^ This is of muck diving in the Lembeh Strait.

Oh! Another one! This one from various diving sessions in Bali! ^>^

1 Like

This post is devoted to cardinal fishies! ^>^

Fun fact about cardinal fish: the male incubates the fertilized eggs in their mouth until they hatch.

As beautiful as these fish are, buy responsibly if you’re planning an aquarium of your own.

Read more here: Plight of the Banggai Cardinalfish | Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine

Ring-tailed cardinal fish

Banggai cardinal fish プテラポゴン・カウデルニィー

Pajama cardinal fish

Five-lined cardinal fish

Threadfin cardinal fish

4 Likes

Time for a closer look at some mollusks. Too many to name, but here are some I find interesting. :slight_smile:

Silver-lipped pearl oyster (Pinctada maxima) 蝶貝 ちょうがい

Best known for sometimes containing pearls. There’s also a Golden-lipped variety.

pinctada-maxima-4e3f0e92-6b9b-4705-8464-263ca25afb1-resize-750

Edible oysters 牡蠣 かき (there are many varieties of these as well)

Common Cockle 灰貝はいがい

In Japanese sushi restaurants you can find 鳥貝 とりがい Japanese egg cockle (Fulvia mutica)​

Razor clam 馬刀貝 まてがい
clam-gif_2016_04_10

King scallop/Great scallop
5a9Q

I just found this site where you can check the habitat of some of these sea creatures, if you live close to the sea and ever wanna go clamming, looking for scallops etc. Also, best to check the regulations where you live before you do (about landing size, how many you can take, and when not to pick mussels, season regulations etc).

https://www.marlin.ac.uk/species/detail/1398

7 Likes

Obligatory geoduck (gooey-duck):

Apparently they can live 140 years, very impressive.

5 Likes

Considering we mostly eat younger individuals of other meats, that sort of makes me “not” wanna try geoduck! :joy:

Also, apparently there are different varieties of geoduck, not a big surprise, but they are known in Japanese as:

アメリカ波貝 アメリカナなみがい geoduck (Panopea generosa)
波貝 なみがい Japanese geoduck (Panopea japonica)​

3 Likes

Happy belated Shrimp Day!

Shrimp GIFs | Tenor

GIF shrimp - animated GIF on GIFER

Shrimp monterey bay aquarium mantis shrimp GIF - Find on GIFER

Exhibit updates shrimp monterey bay aquarium GIF - Find on GIFER

Shrimp GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

7 Likes

This post is going to be about catfish! (鯰 なまず) There are many different types of catfish, but they’re all bottom-dwellers and recognizable by their whiskers.

More info: 17 Different Types of Catfish: Pictures, Facts, and Guide - Outforia

Blue catfish
bluecatfish

Bumblebee catfish

Redtail catfish レッドテールキャットフィッシュ

Glass catfish トランスルーセントグラスキャットフィッシュ

Pictus catfish

Wels catfish ヨーロッパ大鯰 or ヨーロッパオオナマズ

Mekong giant catfish (caught eating a pigeon! ) メコンオオナマズ
ezgif-4-c885eb06d7

4 Likes