Anyone know of a good way to learn more Japanese vocabulary that's similar to wanikani?

I’m trying to find a good resource to learn vocabulary in a similar fashion to wanikani. So far the only thing iv found is the “So Much Vocab!” anki deck by Hinekidori. Unfortunately the material was too advanced and had sentences that I didn’t even know any of the words for. Any recommendations?

1 Like

I personally enjoy using Torii SRS, give it a quick google.

2 Likes

Not sure if this is exactly what you’re looking for, but there are iKnow decks sorted by WK level. Or just the normal iKnow decks, but those get a bit frustrating because they introduce words by frequency and if you’re just beginning in WK there are a lot of kanji that you don’t know that makes it very very very frustrating to keep up with (at least in my experience). That being said, I am using the normal iKnow decks.

2 Likes

Seconding iKnow! My goal is reading more as soon as possible, so it’s really helpful to have the words sorted by frequency, and it complements my Genki studies.

1 Like

floflo.moe and kitsun.io are two websites with vocab lists(I think the ones other people have mentioned already along with the two I mentioned are the main ones I’ve heard of people using)

5 Likes

“So Much Vocab” by Hinekidori is basically Core 10k (a variation of 6k aka iKnow + 4000 more words).

So I guess it’s not really the platform here that’s the problem, but the deck?

Are you studying from a textbook? Genki maybe? I’m aware of Genki vocab decks that have simpler example sentences. Not sure about other textbooks. But that might be the thing that you’re looking for? :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are a huge range of decks available on Memrise. I don’t love it, but it’s free, uses SRS, you can choose from other users mnemonics (or add your own), and you can choose to type in answers (you’ll need to switch to hiragana input). They’ve spun off the free version into a site called Decks:

1 Like

I also recommend Torii SRS! It’s free, available in different platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac, Android), similar to WaniKani and simple to use, and allows you to choose among different study modes that determine the content and order of the material (for example: kana-only mode, modes by JLPT level, and a WaniKani mode that teaches vocab not taught in WK ordered by WK kanji level).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.