Learning Vocab without Anki?

When I first signed up to WaniKani I thought i could rely on it solely to teach me vocab, but I’ve seen orum posts saying that isn’t a good idea. I like the SRS system, but I find Anki so unintuitive and difficult to use. Has anyone got anything else I can use to learn vocab reliabley (doesn’t necesarilly have to be SRS based)?

kitsun.io is a new SRS site which has vocabulary decks you could use, and it’s also pretty easy to make your own. It’s designed to be more user-friendly than Anki, and is hosted online rather than locally.

That said, although it is currently free-to-use, it will be moving to a paid subscription model in the new year, so if you’re looking for something free then it’s probably not for you.

There’s also memrise, though I haven’t used that much so can’t really comment on it.

Torii has pretty much everything you need.
From vocab lists that cover all levels from N5 to N1 and the all important Kana-Only list which I didn’t find anywhere else, and a few others that I can’t recall right now. Remember that to read well in Japanese you can’t rely on just knowing all the kanji. There are plenty of words that are exclusively or commonly written in kana (both Hiragana and Katakana), even if they are originally written with kanji.

I’ve been using this app for a few weeks now and I love it. It’s also possible to add your own vocab.

Also recommending Kitsun :v: It will be pay to use soon, but there’s so much goodness in there (mainly those decks from Radish8. I’ve heard they get you to read manga immediately :100: :rofl: :heart:)

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I actually probably wouldn’t recommend those decks for the OP until they’re a higher level on WK. You’d have to learn an awful lot of new kanji, and although I’ve been learning a few higher-level kanji myself through reading (and then feeling very clever when they finally appear on WK), at a certain point it becomes inefficient.

(Yeah, true. But I couldn’t miss this opportunity to flirt :grimacing: )

For beginners, I recommend the 4.5k katakana and the Genki decks ^^ The former has 4500 katakana words and the latter helps you learn the vocab existent in the genki books, making the grammar learning quite easier (if you’re using the books).