Any good iPad App to learn writing Japanese?

I am looking into buying an iPad app that will allow me to learn how to write Kana as well as Kanji. Do you guys have any recommendation for me?

Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Iā€™m using Anki for my writing studies. It has a field where you can write in (but you need to check yourself, there is no support for that). Iā€™m usually writing on paper anyways so Iā€™m not bothered with that. I think the movement skill is quite different when writing with a pencil compared to with a finger (although if you have a pen for your iPad, that might be different). For the stroke order Iā€™m using a special font that has the stroke order built-in which I find super-convenient.

Just be warned that Anki for iOS comes with a price tag and that itā€™s not for everybody. I donā€™t want to start a religious fight though :sweat_smile: so if you donā€™t know it yet, maybe you can try it out and see for yourself.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve liked using this on my iPad:

Itā€™s 99 cents IAP to get the writing practice. They also have one for kana:

5 Likes

Thank you for the recommendation. I will try it out!

1 Like

i used robokana for the kana but it changed recently and although more polished itā€™s not as adequate for me as it was. I reset and i did not like the pacing as much.

other than that itā€™s good for practicing writing in big letters: they take up a large portion of the screen. I use my fingers so it works for me. You need to be pretty close to the correct letter to pass. You draw inside a square with dashed lines and the first time you learn you have a faint mark to follow.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.