Accidentally typing reading instead of meaning

Hi,

When I do my reviews on my PC I usually focus on the Japanese text and since I type quite fast I sometimes just type the first thing that pops into my head, then press Enter, only to see that I was actually requested to write the meaning and not the reading.

I like it when you type the kunyomi but wanikani expects the onyomi (or vice versa), then the screen buzzes/vibrates for a second. Can it be possibly enabled here as well? If the meaning is matching the reading, I don’t think I should be failed :frowning:

For the meaning instead of reading it’s actually solved since wanikani doesn’t accept any latin letters except for an N not yet translated to the N hiragana, so unless the meaning also matches Japanese syllables, you’re good.

Is there any way to enable it on the for website reviews? I’ve looked in the settings but I didn’t find anything.

Thanks!

2 Likes

There are definitely userscripts for it, such as the Override Script. I use the iOS app Tsurukame, which has the script built-in, but I don’t know what’s available for Android users. But no, it is not an official setting (even though it really should be)

I recommend the Double Check script. It shakes the screen if you enter the reading instead of the meaning. It also can be used to override wrong answers, so use it carefully, but it can be a lifesaver for typos.

3 Likes

Tsurukame is a life-saver!

1 Like

Cool, I’ll give it a shot the next that I have some reviews up :smiley:

2 Likes

Pretty sure Flaming Durtles (Android) does that too. It’s quite nice!

1 Like

Another option instead of the double check script (People say that it lets them cheat too easily, and cheating tends to be bad for learning) is the Reorder Ultimate 2 script. This, among other things, can let you set it so that reading will always come before meaning. (Click the side of the scale that says 読み方) Some people do say that this script can also have some downsides to learning, but personally I think it’d be much less potentially harmful, and I figured it would be good to have options. :smiley:

1 Like

Burning Durtles (for Android) also has the feature built in.

3 Likes

I use Tsurukame but I didn’t know it has this feature. How you use it?

1 Like

There is an option called “allow cheating” in the side menu. When you activate it, the typos will be ignored, included meaning/reading ones (:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.