About this restaurant card

I came across this card and I was surprised I actually understood most of it (the context is not that difficult…)
But I have some questions.

一楽
How would you translate this in English? Could “Good Times” be an equivalent in English if we’re talking about restaurant names? Apparently there is a restaurant in Naruto called ラーメン一楽 which is translated as “Ramen is the best pleasure”…

予約 お問い合せ
I guessed this was about reservations (beforehand and some verb about suits or joining) followed by a phone number, and indeed. But if I google it, it gets corrected to 予約 お問い合わせ, why did they drop the わ on the card?

What does the L.O mean after the opening hours?

2 Likes

L.O. means “Last Order”

EDIT: as long as the meaning is understood, and especially when space is limited, okurigana can be left out (partially or entirely). 締め切り is often written 締切, for example. And in fact, this is how WK teaches the word 締め切り.

7 Likes

I’m not sure that I would, to be honest. Seems like it’s a pretty common name for izakayas and such.

The Goo dictionary suggests 一つの楽しみ. And also that it’s an abbreviation for 一楽編み and 一楽織り.

4 Likes

I guess they just mean “what does it mean” and not “I want to refer to this place by an English translation.”

As pointed out above, it’s basically “one fun thing” like 楽 is a “counter for fun things.” But Jisho labels it as a colloquialism, so it’s likely that it doesn’t actually fully function as a counter that can be used for higher numbers.

5 Likes

Yes. It’s more like “what comes into a Japanese persons mind when they read this”. That’s why I went with good times. In English, we know that Hard Rock Café is not a place about hard stones yet that is what the literal meaning would suggest to a Japanese person who has just begun to learn English :slight_smile:

Thank you for the answers. I was just exited I could figure out this very basic card :sunglasses:

1 Like

To save space?
Just kidding, it’s because お問い合わせ and お問い合せ and お問合せ are all read as おといあわせ.
It’s just that you’re free to write it in whichever of the 4 (including kana-only) ways.

What does surprise me is that it’s one of the few restaurants that describes themselves as 中国料理 instead of 中華料理.
At least, I always tend to see 中華料理 on all Chinese restraurants around here.

As for L.O., it’s “last order”.
Usually a time frame of 30-ish minutes before closing time, or different amount of minutes, but usually 30 minutes.

For 一楽, there are already 2 people explaining it to you very well.
The other 2 questions was answered by 1 other person, but it’s about balance ey?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.