10 Minute Biographies Chapter 6 (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

10 Minute Biographies Chapter Six: Leonardo da Vinci

Start Date: 22nd January (JST)

Previous Chapter: Chapter 5
Next Chapter: Chapter 7
Home Thread: Link

Schedule

We are reading at the pace of one page per day. If a sentence crosses two pages it is read as part of the first page.

Daily reading schedule

Page turns at midnight JST.

Date Page Last Line of Page
Jan 22 85 Chapter title page
Jan 23 86 生き物を 見るのが すきで、見た ものを
Jan 24 87 ベロッキオ いう 有名な げいじゅつ家を たずねました。
Jan 25 88 レオナルドの しごとぶりに 感心して つげました。
Jan 26 89 ちょうこくを 作って、ひょうばんに なりました。
Jan 27 90 食事を する ようすを うまく かく ために レオナルドは
Jan 28 91 その つぎの 日も、じっと かべを 見つめました。
Jan 29 92 かくのかを イメージしていたのです。
Jan 30 93 これには、レオナルドも うんざりしました。
Jan 31 94 人びとに あいされる 名画と なっています。
Feb 1 96 水を あたためる 仕組みを 考えました。
Feb 2 97 いのちの ひみつを さぐる ことも ありました。
Feb 3 98 End of chapter

Resources

These spreadsheets are put together by the bookclub to help other readers. Feel free to contribute but do read the vocab sheet guidance on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Summary
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked

• If posting a complete translation of a sentence we generally blur / hide this, as seeing the translation may be a spoiler for those who haven’t read that part yet and wanted to translate for themselves. The easiest way to do this is select the text, click on the cog icon, and select “Blur Spoiler”, or you can type it like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• Join the conversation - it’s fun!

2 Likes

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

1 Like
title

レオナルド・ダ・ビンチ
Leonardo da Vinci
いろいろな顔を持つ万能の天才
A universal genius who has various faces

3 Likes

In case anybody’s reading ahead and got stuck on ベロッキオ: it’s Andrea del Verrocchio, to whose Wikipedia article I would link if the spoiler blur didn’t kind of fail to conceal it properly

2 Likes
p. 86

イタリアにあるビンチ村は、オリーブやブドウの木が一面に広がる、のどかな農村です。
The village of Vinci in Italy is a quiet rural community with olive and grapevines all over.
『モナ・リザ』の絵などで有名な、レオナルド・ダ・ビンチは、今からおよそ五百七十年ほど前に、この村でうまれました。
Leonardo da Vinci, famous for the painting of “Mona Lisa” and others, was born in this village about 570 years ago.
レオナルドは、植物や昆虫、小鳥や動物など、自然や生き物を見るのが好きで、見たものをすぐに絵に書きました。
Leonardo liked to look at nature and living things, such as plants and insects, little birds and animals, and immediately drew pictures of what he saw.

7 Likes

こん虫 I don’t understand why this takes the onyomi reading, surely adding ‘this’ to the word insect does not stop it using the kunyomi reading?

sorry if I am being dim

Angela

1 Like

The word is 昆虫, just written partially in kana. Also, you might be confusing 今- with この?

4 Likes

Ah, I see, yes that was exactly my confusion, thank you!

p. 87

レオナルドの絵は、花も動物も昆虫も、どれも本物そっくりです。
Leonardo’s drawings of flowers, animals, insects - all look exactly like the real thing.
(この子には、絵の才能があるーー。)
(This child has a talent for drawing …)
そう思ったお父さんは、レオナルドの絵を持って、ベロッキオという有名な芸術家を訪ねました。
So thought his father and took Leonardo’s drawings to visit the famous artist Verrocchio.

5 Likes

my attempt at page 87

Summary

レオナルドの絵は,花も動物も昆虫も,どれも本物そっくりです。

On Leonardo’s drawings flowers, animals and insects look very realistic.

[この子には、絵の、才能があるー。]

[This child has a talent for drawing.]

そう思ったお父さんはレオナルドの絵をもって、ベロッキオと言う有名な芸術家を尋ねました。

Thinking about it, his father searched a consult from the famous artist Verrocchio.

1 Like

You might want to check out @2000kanji s translation. I think you didn’t really stick to the text and Leonardo is not even mentioned. :thinking::v:

To be honest I am not sure why do you try to make translations so perfect. I see more fun in capturing the meaning in a shorter sentence.

1 Like

Ok, have fun then. :+1::v::smile:

2 Likes

Is it just me or is this chapter easier than the last one?

2 Likes
p. 88

するとベロッキオは、絵を見て、言いました。
Thereupon Verrocchio looked at the drawings and said:
「あの少年は、すぐに私のところにようしなさい。」
“That boy should come to me at once.”
こうしてレオナルドは、十四歳の頃、ベロッキオの弟子となりました。
So, at the age of fourteen, Leonardo became a pupil of Verrocchio.
ベロッキオの仕事を手伝いながら、絵や彫刻を学ぶことになったのです。
While helping Verrocchio with his work, Leonardo got lessons in painting and sculpture.
そして、三十歳になったころのこと。
Then, when he was thirty years old,
ベロッキオは、レオナルドの仕事ぶりに感心して告げました。
Verrocchio told Leonardo that he admired the way he worked:

4 Likes

my version for p. 88 is again not literal:

Summary

すると ベロッキオは、絵を見て、言いました。「この少年を、すぐに私自身のところに寄こしなさい。」
When Verroccio saw drawings, he asked to send Leonardo-boy to him straight away.

こうして レオナルドは, 十四うん歳のころ、ベロッキオの弟子と成りました。

This is how 14 years old Leonardo became Verroccio’s student.

ベロッキオの仕事を手伝いながら絵や忠告を学ぶことになったのです。

While helping to work on Verroccio’s commissions , Leonardo learned drawing and advising.

そして、30歳になったころのこと。

This lasted until Leonardo reached 30 years old.

ベロッキオは、レオナルドの仕事ぶりに感心して継ました。

Verroccio was impressed with the work Leonardo did and he made him his successor.

Uh, pretty sure that’s supposed to be 彫刻, “sculpture”. “Advising” makes no sense here.

3 Likes

Yes thank you, “advising” did not make much sense! My mistake was in one small symbol ちょうかく, not ちゅうかく.

I’m not sure if you want feedback at all and I won’t comment on your translation because you made it clear that you like a rather free translation. I’d just like to add that some kanji are not correct. Words like なる are for example usually written in hiragana and you seem to have misinterpreted other words like 私 (not 私自身) and 告げました (not 継ました). :v:

2 Likes

This is very helpful.