キノの旅 Week 1 Discussion

Join the Intermediate Book Club Here!

キノの旅 Home Thread

Prologue/Chapter 1

Start Date: March 9th
Next Chapter: Week 2

Week 1 Reading: Prologue/Chapter 1 (1/2)
Beginning - end of page 29 in physical book (その間、誰一人として見かけることはなかった。)

Word lists - Learn the vocabulary for キノの旅!

Discord Reading

(Direct link to discord server)

There will also be a reading aloud group on discord for this book starting the weekend of the 16th with two different reading groups: one on Saturdays at 9:30PM GMT, one on Sundays at 1:30 PM GMT. For more info see thread here

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle_the_explorer:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

8 Likes

@TamanegiNoKame or anyone else, can you confirm the details I included for the discord reading aloud group? :motorcycle::turtle::dash:

2 Likes

Linked me to the server alright :+1:

And… time to start reading.

Edit: oh, you meant the details. Silly me. Can’t even read English and I’m trying to read Japanese.

7 Likes

First question: In the prologue, is Kino doing most of the speaking? It’s a bit hard to follow who is saying what, though I’m pretty sure it’s mostly just one of them speaking.

1 Like

Yes. The other character (エルメス) is mostly throwing some 相槌 and then saying they don’t really understand.

4 Likes

Oop, I was expecting the thread to made on an hour. I lose.
But I voted for you, so…
I win?

4 Likes

You must be pretty confused right now.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, girls who use ボク are my jam

This took me a lot longer to get through than i wanted it to, but I guess it’ll get smoother~

2 Likes
I have to agree with you on that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv5l5X5OurA

I’ve ended up in the weird part of youtube again

2 Likes

Just finished the prologue. Man the grammar point of よと思う came up a lot. My Dictionary of Basic Grammar was very useful. The prologue was a pretty easy read suprisingly. I think I got the gist of what was going on.

3 Likes

It’s probably going to take me all week to read the chapter, that said it’s relatively easy going to start off.

Lovely descriptive scene setting, very cinematic. (My review of the first 3 paragraphs)

4 Likes

Ah I’m a bit regretting not getting on board with this a few weeks ago. But I’m putting my effort into reading 魔女の宅急便, all 6 volumes of it :confounded:

I’m considering pausing that and joining this because following the discussion with everyone is awesome.

8 Likes

Do it do it do it!! It is much more fun reading with someone else.
You can always go back to Kiki later.

8 Likes

I’m still repeating that to myself :sweat_smile:

Seriously, though, one day.

4 Likes

Can I check a sentence with someone?

Summary

抜け落ちないように、ハンマーがホルスターから短く仲びた紐を嚙んでいた。

I think this means:

In order that it shouldn’t fall out, a hammer was connected by a short string too the holster.

Is that right?

Why does it use 嚙む? Doesn’t that mean to chew?

I think that’s it. The idea seems to be that the string tightly fits over the hammer of the gun such that the hammer ‘bites’ into the string

2 Likes

Apparently, the “hammer” is a part of the gun, though it took me some time to figure that out. From what I understand, that part is tied to the holster so that even if it falls, it’s connected to the holster.

1 Like

You convinced me, haha. I’m gonna try at least, guess I’m gonna get the ebook version this time.
(Would you say this is easier or harder than Kiki?)

1 Like

For me this whole “this voice” “another voice” “yet another voice” was totally confusing.

Voices

p. 11
…人間の話す声が聞こえた。少年のぞうな、そして少し高い声だ。
This should be Kino.
p. 11
別の声が発言を促す像に聞いた。…男の子のようの声だった。
okey, that this must be Hermes.
p.12
最初の声は…
Okey, Kino is speaking again.
p. 12
別の声が答えた。
What? Another voice? But ther are only the two of them, right? Is there a third “person”?

By the way: How do you imagine Hermes to speak? Or better: can Hermes really think, or is he just Kinos imaginary friend, to whom Kino is talking?

Later people are reffering to things Hermes said, so they must kind of hear Hermes. I like the image of a young boy on a motorcycle, who is all day speaking to himself. :rofl:

1 Like