🔊 Listen Every Day Challenge - Spring 2024 🌸 🌈

It might be sooner than you think! I was listening to podcasts for about 4-5 months to get listening practice in, and kind of feeling frustrated with progress on the more difficult ones, so started some anime for variety. Even then I started with some simpler ones to warm up, but found out kind of accidentally when I tried a harder anime on a whim that the podcasts had left me much better prepared than I thought I was.

I mean, in retrospect, anime with a bunch of visual cues should have obviously been easier than podcasts once you get into natural-ish speech, but it’s easy to get comfortable in your specific routine.

4 Likes

Randomness from Jira (againnn)

One week on the listening challenge for me woohoo! (Cue the confetti)

I watched one episode of あそびあそばせ and I like half of this Roland vlog before I put the English subtitles on because I was getting frustrated that I couldn’t understand some stuff. The way they talk to each other in this one is something else. :sob:

6 Likes

<< Prev

Q2 of 2024 | Week 2

4月12日 (金)

Daily brief x1

Rebuild #382 (0:44-0:58)

ONE PIECE quiz, for the previous Rebuild.

さんpodcast #1. not :strawberry:

5 Likes

Today’s videooo -

General phrases used throughout the day!

6 Likes

2024-04-12

:previous_track_button: Previous | :house: Home post | Next :next_track_button:

Date Name Type Amount Time
2024-04-12 :chart_with_downwards_trend: コツ :spiral_notepad: Study :clipboard: 100 Items :hourglass: 0h30m

Something a bit different today, but as I mentioned at the start of the channel, I wanted to bring back some pitch accent practice, so I started back on the コツ pitch accent test. I got 59/100 items, which is pretty much in the ballpark of where I was when I last left it. Consistently enough above 50% so it’s clear it’s not just random luck, but not far enough above to feel good about it.

6 Likes

:headphones: Home post // April 12 :cherry_blossom: :rainbow:

Watched Spy x Fam S2 ep 4.

6 Likes

:cherry_blossom: :teapot: Home Post and thread

4月12日金曜日

:mag: Collar x Malice, Mineo’s route.
I love the mystery context, I can’t wait to unravel all the explanations of the game events (5 routes to go before knowing everything :sweat_smile: )

7 Likes

<< Prev

Q2 of 2024 | Week 2

4月13日 (土)

Rebuild #382 (0:58-1:21)

I’ve never tried the app yet, but heard of.

A travel Vlog

Not in Japanese, but also Kanagawa: Hospitality in Hakone - A Cat's-Eye View of Japan | NHK WORLD-JAPAN

7 Likes

:headphones: Home post // April 13 :cherry_blossom: :rainbow:

I watched a lot of YT videos

Kimono Mom’s husband is such a down-to-earth and romantic person, he’s like a tree, while Kimono Mom is like a pretty flower and sunshine. They’re both relationship goals.

7 Likes

2024-04-13

2024-04-13 :chart_with_downwards_trend: コツ :spiral_notepad: Study :clipboard: 100 Items :hourglass: 0h10m

A quick update for today, did some more pitch accent practice. I’m quite occupied this weekend, so I expect tomorrow will look similar.

Funnily enough, despite spending a lot less time for the same amount items today compared to yesterday, I got a higher accuracy at 67% vs 59%.

8 Likes

:headphones: Home post // April 14 :cherry_blossom: :rainbow:

Watched Spy x Fam S2 ep 5. April is going by fast :eyes:

8 Likes

April 7-13

This last week was mostly extensive: only one video from Daily Japanese with Naoko, three episodes of From Me to You, one episode of Terrace House, and about half an hour of Japanese music. This next week I’ll try for some more intensive listening.

There are only about 12 songs on my Japanese playlist right now, and I think that’s actually helpful because since it’s the same thing over and over again, I’m starting to recognize parts faster. Soon I’ll be singing along :notes:

7 Likes

Randomness from Jira (againnnn)

I have been slowly building up a playlist of Shibuya-Kei song I like for months now, and I’ve been using YouTube playlists as my way of searching for new songs. As of recent they’ve been doubling as listening practice for me as well and I listened to a little over half of this one yesterday.

7 Likes

Today’s vid:

About finding tasty foods! :chipmunk:

7 Likes

:headphones: Home post // April 15 :cherry_blossom: :rainbow:

Watched Spy x Fam S2 ep 6. Finally an arc of sorts, not just random events.

8 Likes

:headphones: :loudspeaker: :cherry_blossom: :shamrock: April 6 - April 15

I’ve been terrible at tracking but managed to listen to some Japanese all but one day so far. I’ve listened to Teppei for beginners episodes #71 - #79 as well as some dialogs from Hakuoki VN.

8 Likes

:cherry_blossom: :teapot: Home Post and thread

4月13日 から 4月15日まで

I’ve kind of fallen in the rabbit hole that is the visual novel :mag: Collar x Malice :sweat_smile: I’m at the third route now, Kei’s one, and I can’t get enough of this game for now.

But it’s pretty much extensive listening, so after that, I think I’d like to challenge myself a little more on the listening matter, like with seeing more anime with japanese subtitles for example, or be sure to understand every single word in a podcast, what I sometimes do (though not enough, I think).

8 Likes

2024-04-14 — 2024-04-15

2024-04-15 :chart_with_downwards_trend: コツ :spiral_notepad: Study :clipboard: 100 Items :hourglass: 0h15m
2024-04-14 :chart_with_downwards_trend: コツ :spiral_notepad: Study :clipboard: 100 Items :hourglass: 0h15m

So I was quite busy this weekend, but at least for listening practice I got some コツ time in to practice pitch accent. I don’t intend it to be the only thing I do most days, but was helpful to at least keep the streak going while I was otherwise occupied. Good things, but stuff I’ll discuss in my study log in the private category when I make my next update :slight_smile:

Anyway, for Japanese, I had my worst and best result in the new run yet, of 54% on Saturday and 71% on today, so I’m not sure how to read into that. I felt like I did feel the pitch in a way I rarely do on today’s, so there’s hope! But as Saturday shows (and the fact Sunday wasn’t 100%), still work to do.

9 Likes

<< Prev

Q2 of 2024 | Week 2

4月14日 (日)

Rebuild #382 (1:21-1:52)

Q2 of 2024 | Week 3

4月15日 (月)

Rebuild #382 (1:52-2:01)

4月16日 (火)

Listened to Depa-Chika mentioned above. Not sure if I have been to one.

Rebuild #382 (2:01-2:15 end)

Daily brief x2

YUYU, the latest episode

5 Likes

Today’s video!

General conversation, with phrases and such to make it more friendly/casual.

7 Likes