~のに/なのに vs.というのに (Even though/Although)

Hi!
Would someone be able to explain the difference between ~のに/なのに vs.というのに? According to the internet, both seem to mean “even though” or “although” to express something contrary to what the speaker expected. Wondering if there’s a subtle or connotation difference between the two?

Thank you so much in advance! This community is awesome!
Best,
Rebecca

As far as I can tell, というのに doesn’t have any idiomatic meaning that you wouldn’t get from just combining という and のに (meaning that the second half is already covered by the first item you want to compare it with). How much do you know about using という or と and いう, if you want to think about it like that?

What made you want to ask the question? Was it that you were searching for how to say “even though” and came across entries for both of them, or something like that?

Or was it that there was a textbook exercise where you had to choose between them, or something along those lines, where both came up in your studies?

Knowing why you want to know can help answerers target an explanation at what will be most helpful to you.

3 Likes

Hi @Leebo ! Thank you for your response! That clears things up for me! I will make sure to write the reason in my post next time!

The reason I am asking is because I saw WaniKani use "というのに " in one of their example context sentences. I know how to use “という” and “のに” but didn’t know if putting these two together was a phrase I should memorize/learn too.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.