Need help with 逆接を表す言葉

Hey guys,

I kinda need help with adversative conjugations/逆接を表す言葉。 Super complicated word to express のに kinda words. Words that express a contradiction between the two parts of the sentences. I just can’t make a difference between them T.T I think they all have the same meaning so why not just use のに for everything.

1.ながら, I think it’s a more polite form.
Ex: 残念ながら、今度の旅行には行けません。
I know I can also express doing something while doing something else.

2.ものの/というものの, as the same meaning as けれど
Ex: 85歳の母は耳がよく聞こえないものの、一人で明るく生活している。

3.にもかかわらず, the meaning of a little of something. Have an emotion to it and the same as のに.
Ex:父は体力があまりないにもかかわらず、毎日おそくまで働いている。

4.といっても, this one is used in conversation I think.
Ex: 転勤といっても、同じ県内の支店ですから引っ越ししなくても大丈夫です。

5.からといって, use when only one reason with a negative tone.
正月だからと言って私は休んではいられないです。

They all have some slight difference I guess but if I have to choose one of them I just can’t decide which one is good. Do you have tricks to remember which is which or is there a rule that I missed?

Thank you

2 Likes

*Reaches for the grammar dictionary*

1. ながら is usually only used in writing or formal speaking, while のに is used in regular old speaking as well. Also ながら is usually only used in sentences with the third person as the subject (but not always), while のに has no restriction.

2. ものの is also used in writing or formal speaking - S1もののS2 can only be used when S2 is a fact, and that it would be unexpected given what’s established in S1. It’s usually synonymous with が or けれども, the exception being that since ものの conveys positive or negative implications, you must use が or けれども when there’s no implications (for example “Koichi lives in Portland, but Leebo does not” cannot use ものの).

3. S1にもかかわらず implies “in spite of S1”. Very strongly absolutely contrary to everyone’s expectations (while のに is just plain contrary to everyone’s expectations). Again, writing or formal speaking.

4. といっても is used to clarify a previous sentence. “Well, I said that Koichi is an old fuddy-duddy, but he’s still pretty good at kanji.”

5. からといって has a meaning something like “having said that…”

Though, these are all in the Intermediate or Advanced dictionaries, while のに is in the basic dictionary…

6 Likes

Thank for the explanation. It’s much clearer now

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.